Life Observation # 185 Will this Matter?

Life Observation # 185 Will this Matter?          
 I’ve been on the road now for over a year discovering things about myself, friends and family along the way.  My popup reminder on FB today reminded me that a year ago I was leaving my friend, Russ home in Canada after spending a couple weeks talking about life and exploring the beautiful area where he lives.
We discussed many things both past and present that we had encountered over the many years we had known each other starting as an online friendship and once we met in person it developed into a real life best friend relationship even though we had lived several thousand miles apart.  Like the saying goes, true friends’ miles and time do not matter as it will remain strong through it all.
I used to get really worked up about many things, traffic especially when I lived in Atlanta and as I dealt with business and family matters I was probably pretty intense at times.  The drive to excel in whatever I was doing has been a constant and sometimes hard thing for me to deal with.  At work I tended to be very focused on what the tasks of the day were and I had to work on being conscious when people walked into my office to talk or ask questions about the project we were working on.  I could easily multi-task so I would usually continue to work on what I was doing and answer or talk to the person and it took many years before I had to stop myself and give the person the due respect to give them their time to visit or work out the issue brought to me.  I could easily continue to work at the same time but knew it was important to stop my own agenda and listen to someone else’s at that time.
We hear “Don’t sweat the small stuff!” all the time but many of us do and sometimes overreact to what is going on around us.  Whether it is a disagreement with loved one, a boss, a mistake we or someone else made, a lost wallet or a missed opportunity, chances are it won’t be important or really matter to you next year.  Ask yourself the question, “Will this matter a year from now?”  Just another minor detail in your life experiences and with it sometimes a much needed perspective on things going on around you.
As I get older I have taken the “License to Chill” attitude in how I want to deal with people, traffic, and the other things which used to annoy me to no end.  I live a much simpler mindset, one with a kinder, more forgiving of myself and others. 
Life’s a journey . . . who knows what is around the next bend in your life!
Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores