Home sweet home . . .

Home sweet home . . .

I’ve been away a bit for a well needed vacation which I will post some of the events and pictures in the next few days but I wanted to give a quick hello and let everyone know we are back. I left and it was still green here but we had a couple of days with termination dust (early snow) on the mountains, but upon our return the trees below the plane on landing was a sea of yellow. I guess summer is gone . . . our brief fall looks to be almost over as with the autumn winds blowing this wonderful color everywhere will again be quickly gone replaced by the white of winter.

When traveling away from Alaska I’m reminded of why I headed north from the heat and humidity of the southland so many years ago. Vacation time is usually a quest for warmer weather and the tropical breezes of the Caribbean. I always look forward to getting away for short breaks from my Alaskan home but it seems I am reminded fairly quickly of why I enjoy living in a place that would seem at the end of the road for most people.

I do enjoy getting away but once that sticky feeling hit me and the sweat seems to be running down my face and back I can once again be thankful for the area I live and the beauty that surrounds me every day. That is not to say the places I travel does not have the same beauty or impact to the senses for I truly believe it falls to the eyes of the person looking. What I see may be very different from the next person. Many times I have seen various several descriptions from people while we are all looking at the same thing. Our perceptions in what we pick out are unique and varied as the stars above.

This vacation was hot . . . for everyone in our group . . . it was not bad with a gentle breeze but during those times away from the ship it was approaching miserable. There were the pleasant surprises like Margaritaville in Grand Cayman & Cozumel. They had the pools that you could enjoy the heat while playing in the water. The breeze on the mountaintop before we started the zip line canopy tour was another but walking the streets in Cozumel quickly made us long for the cool relief of the ship.

Other surprises this trip . . . Laying in the lounge chairs up on the top deck and seeing the shooting stars while watching natures light and sound show all around us was truly spectacular. Seeing the lightning in the distance while hearing the almost forgotten sound of thunder these last few years brought back memories of Stone Mountain Park in Georgia watching the laser show while a storm rolled through.

This vacation had the desired effect for me . . . slow things down a bit . . . giving the body and soul the time to reflect, see other cultures, to be thankful for all that we have and our families so far away, and to re-energize for the coming months ahead.

I am ready for the darkness and the coming changes that come with winter in the far north.

It is good to be back home again . . . Alaska is calling me like a long lost love.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores