Winter . . . It’s Here!

Winter, it's finally here. Break out the Sorel boots to battle the footsy elements outside while L.L. Bean coats battle to keep in those upper body temps. Snow is starting to pile up. Slowly at first but it is getting deeper by the hour.

Waking up around 4 am this Christmas morning and seeing the snow falling was so peaceful. I like how the ambient light grows outside when it snows at night. I can almost tell how hard it's snowing, based on the light coming in from outside the windows.

Rocking in my recliner . . . I can see the glow outside . . . the fire in the fireplace cast shadows in the darkness as the snow falls deep around my wrap around deck and holds the winter light reflected from the heavens.

The log glows in the fireplace, the occasional ash dropping through the grate, sending up quiet sparks in the darkness. It is quiet and peaceful in the darkness other than the faint snoring of my wife who fell asleep on the sofa last night. I sit just watching the snow fall for several hours enjoying the fact I have to be nowhere this morning and choose to not do anything in particular.

The first light of the day finally comes in midmorning as the snow continues to fall. I enjoy time outside with Levi my dog who loves to play in the snow and spend most of this day relaxing while eating the leftovers from yesterday’s get together.

The darkness returns . . . as it begins to creep in around three thirty pm after an all day twilight. The northern latitude winter swirls around us in shades of white and black, twilight and gray, warm hearth and icy cold.

I think bears have the right idea about with their sound sleep this time of year, don't you?

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores