Winter into Spring . . .

One of my favorite CD’s is George Winston’s “December” album. Another is “Winter into Spring”. After our snowfall last week it seems to finally beginning to make the turn as we continue our journey into full light.

Today is May Eve, a mid-spring cross-quarter day. Tomorrow, May Day is another one, while May 6th is mathematically midway between the Vernal Equinox and the Summer Solstice. To most of us it is mid-spring but some people consider it the first day of summer. Of course there are many people who don’t think about it at all.

It feels more like mid-spring to me. Maybe more like in the old John Denver song, “Late winter, early spring . . . when everyone goes to Mexico”. I can close my eyes and almost feel the sun on me and sense the rhythm of the guitar strumming. Most of the leaves here in Anchorage are not fully out on the trees but the buds are starting to magically appear on the trees. The flowering trees and shrubs are only now a thought but will be in full blossom shortly just in time for the visitors arrival. There was a frost warning last night and there were a few snowflakes briefly falling this morning but luckily there was no real threat of snow and most of last weeks dump is quickly melting as the temperatures have risen to our normal for this time of year. I don’t think it really frosted here when I left early this morning . . . you can’t have frost warnings on the first day of summer . . . can you?

My mind has been occupied during the late winter into spring this year with other things so I feel a little bit as if spring has been slipping away from me . . . that I have not taken time to really experience it the way I experienced autumn last fall.

I’m not real sure what I expected but was looking forward to the coming season. I had hoped for more reflection and writing but things happened that left little time for anything. Did you notice that I kind of skipped over winter in that last paragraph? I never really had any feeling that winter was slipping away from me with all that had happened so it was almost like before I had time to experience it I suddenly realized it was over.

I have for the last two weeks a couple of squirrels that have been sitting on the deck railing eating the peanuts and sunflower seeds in the feeder. I have been listening to them call for the last few weeks . . . a sort of chatter sound and yesterday when I came home I put out a few and made a similar sound and the squirrel came out of his home at my roof gable to gather his nuts and treats.

Hope springs eternal . . . so here’s hoping that as we make our way from Spring into Summer that we receive the glad tidings of the warmth missing lately and that our blessings multiply with every cast and we return home with full creels.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores