Monday Madness . . .

This is Monday night and most people are feeling good here as the weather has broken and the clouds finally parted after hanging out for what seems like many days now. For some reason . . . however . . . I don't have anything funny to write about, though I did manage to come up with something early this morning to bring a chuckle to me. This is an opportunity for me to show off that still mischievous side of my personality.

Humor is one way to get through tough times. My goal is to provide people with a unique blend of a little twisted look at things and hopefully provide a measure of entertainment in the process of my oddball observations of the human condition.

As many of you know by now that my daughter has been sick the last six months and had several stays in the hospital both here in Alaska and also a Medivac trip to Seattle. Things have been turning around for her now and she has not been vomiting since her return to Alaska and actually has put on seven pounds in the last two weeks.

One of the things that have been collecting in my garage these last few weeks is the ‘Get Well’ balloons and the many different shaped balloons that people would bring to the hospital. I decided it was time for a little fun with these helium filled nuggets and that they should provide a little something for someone else . . . a kind of gift that keeps on giving . . . so to speak.

Monday morning is trash day here in my neighborhood so I filled a couple of large black garbage bags with the helium hospital balloons and stacked them under a few others in each of our two “bear proof” garbage cans. I left for work early (4:30 am) so when I rolled the two cans out to the street and placed them in front of the motorhome I could see the truck heading towards me about ten or twelve houses away.

I jumped in my rig and headed out but turned down the next street and quickly turned around so I could watch what happened next. When the garbage men came they began opening the cans and started reaching in grabbing the bags and throwing them into the back of the truck . . . the helium filled bag in the first can came loose and floated off serenely into the early morning sky, just as the sun was rising above the mountaintop. Both garbage men watched for a few seconds as it drifted slowly away clearing the treetops . . . then paused for a second for one more look then shook their heads and then went back to tossing garbage bags. A few seconds later the other large bag in the next can came floating out as both quickly tried to jump into the air as if to retrieve the now floating ‘garbage’. Again the quiet looks as if to ask what in the world was going on but quickly picked up the pace to the next house and back to the work at hand.

I suppose a modest attempt at surrealism is not enough to shock arctic garbage men in the Last Frontier on our 50th Anniversary of Statehood.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores