Grandkids and the Magic Toilet

Or Adventures in Bathroom Learning


Kids discover early in life that the flush handle on the toilet is a magical device to make things disappear. Years ago when my kids were little and more times than I can count . . . I had to lift the toilet and use a sewer snake to clear the blocked toilet drain. Lucky for me plumbing was right up my alley so toilet removal was yet another bathroom activity which the children found absolutely fascinating. I felt like a scuba diver for Roto-Rooter and went sewer fishing so often that (for a while) we kept a stock of wax rings in the bathroom cupboard . . . they're cheaper by the dozen, you know.


(Helpful housekeeping hint: Articles of clothing that have progressed past the P-trap of the toilet are no longer serviceable. Even if they weren’t shredded when the sewer snake snagged them, the stains will not come out and who would want to wear it again anyway.)


One recent Sunday afternoon, the grandkids were over as we were going to have an early season cookout. Everyone was in the living room when we heard the toilet flush. It suddenly occurred to me that all the authorized “flushers” in the family were in the room so I ran to the bathroom just in time to see our two grandkids (ages 5-years and 2-years) gripping the toilet rim like a railing . . . their bright eyes were fixed on a rubber ducky (plucked from the bathtub) who was swimming in tight little circles. I rescued the duck from his imminent peril and then delivered a stern lecture about drowning the duck that did not like the “little pond” and wanted to stay swimming in the bigger pond with his other friends.


My harsh voice and disapproving thump on their butt cured them of their magical toilet tricks . . . so far anyway.


Ice

Comments

Chatty Crone said…
I wouldn't count on it.

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores