Alaskan Summer is almost over

I woke up this morning to head out to my Saturday breakfast at Village Inn but before I left the house I took Gus out for his morning nature break and walk. While I was enjoying my first cup of coffee I put more peanuts in the bird feeder when the 4 Jays came swooping down into the tree limbs just off my deck and on the hand rails. They landed within a few feet of me and made their ‘good morning’ noises to greet me. I can tell they really know when I put out the food and nuts as they are looking for me several times a day. I picked up one of the peanuts and held it out toward the limb where one was impatiently waiting to see what was going on. Gus usually barks and makes every attempt to scare the birds.


The hand is held out and slowly the one Jay hops up to within a few inches from the nut and quickly grabs it and moves about 4 feet away. I had him take two peanuts before I went to breakfast and several hours later when I returned he took another one. It was pretty neat!


In the summer I like to make simple foods. But simple doesn't mean your meals need to be boring. In fact, it's often just the opposite! By using what is currently available in your area you can pull together meals with minimum preparation and yet have some of the tastiest fare of the year.


Tonight I made salmon for dinner. I used an Ivory King Salmon, which is actually the same as a "regular" pink King but for unknown reasons has a beautiful buttery white color. I also think the flavor is more buttery but that is a matter of debate - some say it tastes exactly like the pink Kings.


Either way, with this Alaskan salmon we have available at this time of year I like to make sure you can really taste the fish so I don't do a lot to it. I prepared a mild teriyaki glaze (soy, brown sugar, honey, garlic and a few drops of srikacha) and just lightly basted it as it cooked on an alder plank on my grill.


When it was finished I topped it with my finds from this morning's trip to the Fred Meyer. I made a salsa of grilled peaches and red pepper, blueberries, young red onion, basil, salt and pepper. For side dishes I added some sliced tomatoes with a bit of sea salt, balsamic vinegar and some shaved Parmesan and fresh-from-the-bakery French bread.


Simple . . . satisfying . . . scrumptious.


Bon Appetit!


Ice

Comments

Chatty Crone said…
Sounds like a Julie and Julia dinner. Great movie by the way.
Icewind said…
Not sure what that is so I guess I haven't seen it, lol.

Ice

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores