Growing old . . . Confusing the kids


Growing old is never easy and for many of us our children may not know what to do with us as we grow into those golden years.

I have tried my best over the years to prepare them for many things and for the most part think I have done a pretty good job of it.  One of those simple things that I started many years ago when they were young and everyone was still in the house was to wake up in the morning and put on a long brown sock on one foot and a short blue one on the other foot.  Then I stick on a tie with no shirt, either a baseball cap or cowboy hat, boxer shorts with no pants one day then briefs with no pants on the next.

I think it was shocking at first to them thinking I was a little crazy but my purpose was to get them used to strange things that I may do as I became a senior citizen.  That way hopefully when the time comes and I do weird or forgetful things it won’t seem so bad and they decide to put me away in a home somewhere.

I think many parents as we get older look forward to the kids growing up and moving out of the house . . . maybe downsizing into a smaller place with easier upkeep and less yard to take care of but reality sets in and things happen and one child moves back home then possibly another one.  You change plans and keep the place so there is enough room for everyone.

What’s next . . . does it ever change and everyone grows up to be the person they wanted to become.  Did they reach their potential or attain all that we wanted for them as parents?  Hopefully so but the realities of life sometimes make everyone go through things that are difficult to handle but are learning experiences all the same.

That is what we have taught them . . . to do their best, treat others with respect . . . and return with honor.

Ice

Comments

jeanmac said…
Amen to that, Ice.
Icewind said…
Thanks Jean,

Hope all is well. It looks like you have been on the roller coaster of emotions with Wayne's condition lately but with the extra help caring for him it gives you some needed breaks.

Keep the faith that it is all good.

Ice

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores