Life Observation # 125


Birthdays are good for you; the more you have, the longer you live.

As one approaches sixty it’s funny the things you think about as the day approaches for the next birthday.

I was blessed to be born on my mama’s birthday and with it came a special bond between us even across the miles in our lives.  Happy Birthday Mama, I love and miss you big bunches.  I spoke with her and my sister this afternoon and my daughter called me this morning from Iraq just before we had a 4.6 earthquake just north of Anchorage near Palmer.  A little five second shake to start the morning.

I did not think I would see snow on my birthday but it happened this year Anchorage got about 3 inches yesterday and another inch or so early this morning but by late afternoon the sun was out and things were melting again.  We had gone through breakup over the last couple of weeks and most of the snow had melted before this latest dump.

Work was busy but productive today and when I came home decided I wanted to go out to eat as I forgot to take something out of the freezer to grill.  My wife, daughter and her son (2.5 yrs) headed off to Red Robin which is close by the house.  It seems every time we get in a vehicle Zach falls asleep and today was no exception. 

We go inside and he is still asleep the whole time we are eating and when the staff comes up and sings Happy Birthday to me and are banging things making a big racket Zach does not move.

As we are getting ready to leave the restaurant he wakes up and the side of his face is covered in sweat from the vinyl seat and he is making this contorted face that almost looked like he has had a stroke.  One side is all droopy and he stared frozen in time for about 30 – 40 seconds.  We start laughing at how he looks and my daughter starts to freak out thinking that something is medically wrong with him and starts crying.  Everyone is wondering what in the world is going on with two of us laughing like crazy and the other one crying.  She realized he was just in that sleep semi-awareness mode and nothing wrong so she then starts laughing with the rest of us.

It went on for about five minutes as we could not stop laughing and everything that was said turned into another round with eyes watering, stomachs hurting and the place around us wondering what in the hell we were doing.  It was great and much needed.  The look on my daughters face as she thought something wrong was priceless.  I think it is a phase all of us go through thinking we are going to screw up the kids or break them in some way.  That panic that sets in for a few seconds and then the realization of how we erred and everything is alright is something I think that most parents experience at one time or another.

Laughter is a great way to spend any day so thanks for the laughs and another wonderful day.

Ice

Comments

jeanmac said…
Hey, belated HB, Ice. Our older son was born April 7th - they came for the weekend and we celebrated early.
Icewind said…
Thanks and it must be a popular day.

Hope all is well!

Ice
Chatty Crone said…
Happy belated birthday too Ice.
Icewind said…
Thanks,

Ice

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores