Beside myself . . . Time to watch TV but where did the picture go?


When we were younger there used to be a distinction between the movies & television.  The movies at the theater were called the Big Screen while television seen at home was the Small Screen.  Today, it would be a misnomer to say that.  From the big screen analog to the flat screen High Definition TV’s of today, the television of today is also the Big Screen.

I would probably like to say . . . my name is Icewind and I'm a TV addict.  I've only recently admitted this, and I probably would still be in denial except for the fact that we just brought into the house a fourth HDTV cable box (digital video recorders).  Mind you they are not all for my watching as I travel somewhat but when I am home like to see my favorite programs.  We've got the big (42”) flat screen TV in the living room, and there is an older television in the bedroom (20”) for my wife to get away from all of the chaos from the grandkids.  She will fall asleep with that one on at night.  There is the “man cave” which is my office where I spend most of my spare time . . . it is also the laundry room so sometimes it can be noisy and hot when everyone decides to do laundry at night when I’m home.  I have both a TV and my computer sitting side by side.  They both are 24” screens but I hope to soon get a flat screen and mount them both on the wall freeing up some desk space. 

There are also three televisions downstairs in my father & brother in laws space where they have one big screen (52”) and two smaller ones in their bedrooms.  The cable company loves us with all of the rental boxes and all of the different tastes in viewing.  I guess that is why GCI has something called the Ultimate Package where you have cable, internet, and long distance bundled into one plan.  Add to that the different boxes and premium viewing choices it should probably be called the “I’ll part your money from your pocket” package.  Truth in advertising.

What is it about these new TV's that are as big as a barn?   Screens come in sizes from less than 4 inches up to 108” which just blows me away.  There are 52” & 65” televisions for those crazy sports fans which is bad enough but why would you pay thousands of dollars to sit in front of a 108” set.  If I’m going to do that then why not just go plop down fifteen bucks at the local theater and enjoy the latest 3D or IMAX extravaganza. 

When I do have the chance to watch Survivor or the Amazing Race on the big screen in the living room it takes some getting used to.  I have finally adjusted to watching it without moving my head from side to side.  Then when you want to watch a movie or a commercial comes on . . . they cut the top and the bottom off . . . and you only get to watch the center.  

Well I want my money back. If I want to watch a movie, I want to watch it from the top to the bottom.  Call me old fashioned but it makes me really mad.  What a waste of space.  We spend our money on a larger television to “see more” and what do we get . . . a large back box around the picture we can see. 

Somewhere I think we are getting gypped by the manufacturers.

Just my observation, thanks for playing.

Ice

Comments

dentalamy said…
Wow, just how thick is that GCI bill??
Sounds like it's time for an intervention!
Icewind said…
It is thick, and you may be right!

Ice

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores