Growing older . . . has it moments.

My wife’s hearing has been deteriorating for a few years now and she finally went several months ago to the doctor for a screening confirming her problems.

She was able to get a hearing aid for one ear and maybe next year she can get one for the other side but for now it has improved somewhat but there are still some additional problems.

When she wears the device while watching television she turns it way down so no one else can hear anything if we watch something together while before it was so loud I could hear her programs from my office.

She takes it out sometimes at night several hours before she sleeps so things are asked and answered several time before the conversation can move onto the next subject or item.  Several weeks ago she went back to work again with her boss who was moving into a new office with his son combining their practice.  I told her, “I’m proud of you.”  To which she responded, “I’m tired of you too.”  See we still communicate effectively after all these years.

Our schedules for sleep is usually one where she is down and out before I head to bed or she has fallen asleep in the recliner with me shutting off everything since I cannot get her awake to move to the bedroom.  Around the time I’m waking up she comes in to go back to sleep.

Last night we were going to bed close to the same time with her about 15 minutes ahead of me since I had to shower.  When I finally lay down and got comfortable I heard a ‘goodnight’ which I responded goodnight.  About thirty seconds later, another ‘Goodnight’.  I responded again, Goodnight.  About a minute later, I heard “GOODNIGHT!” to which I replied, “For the third time, GOODNIGHT!

Did anyone think as we get older everything falls apart and our bodies break?  Our ears, eyes, and knees to name a few but I can honestly say it never occurred to me that it would happen this way.



Just my random thoughts on a freezing rainy night in Alaska.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores