James Dala Deacon – “Jimmy Deacon” - Panel 04W – Line 37


Happy 4th of July, a time to pause for reflection

This past week has been a busy one filled with plenty of activities both at work and personal.

The work time spent preparing several new projects added to this construction season which means taking of material lists so I can order all the parts and pieces to be shipped to the remote work sites.  The logistics of these endeavors are daunting trying to coordinate barge or air freight schedules with the crews and getting everything organized for a successful project.

On the personal front there was “The Moving Wall” a half size replica of the Washington, DC Vietnam Veterans Memorial.  It is making its way through Alaska and was in Anchorage last week.

I wanted to make my way to ‘The Wall’ at first with friends and then I knew it was a solo personal time for me to visit my fallen brothers.  I made my way to the Park Strip across the street from our Anchorage Vietnam Veterans Memorial and there it was the black monolith with its familiar shape and reflective surface.

 It was strange seeing it in a different setting without the Washington Monument to the East and Lincoln Memorial to the West but the impact is still the same.  Walking up you see many people milling around, quiet speaking in hushed tones with other family members.  There was that familiar look of those searching the 58,272 names seeking their loved one, friend, or schoolmate.

The transition from walking up to the polished black granite surface of being “outside” the memorial as you first catch your own reflection on The Wall is powerful.  No longer are you a spectator . . . you are a part of this tribute to our fallen.

I have many friends on the wall . . . too many young men who believed in something bigger than themselves.  All had a great laugh which I remember and take with me to this day, God’s way of showing me that it mattered.

There are too many to list here but I will take just one, James Dala Deacon, or Jimmy as we all called him in high school.  At that time while I was flying helicopters in one area Jimmy was dying in another.  Two kids similar backgrounds and as it turns out such different life paths.

From “The Wall” – Panel 04W – Line 37

JAMES DALA DEACON

  CPL - E4 - Army - Regular
1st Cav Div

His tour began on Nov 24, 1970
Casualty was on Mar 11, 1971
In , SOUTH VIETNAM
NON-HOSTILE, HELICOPTER - NONCREW
AIR LOSS, CRASH ON LAND
Body was recovered
 

The world and Cross Keys High School were we went to school lost a great man!


“He which hath no stomach, to this fight, let him depart.
But we in it, shall be remembered.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers!!
For he today, that sheds his blood with me, shall always be my brother.” Rest in peace brave soldier, you have not been forgotten. (W. Shakespeare)

May God Bless you, for your Sacrifice!!!

Happy 4th of July everyone, take time to reflect this and every day.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores