USA Border Crossing

Friday morning was a bittersweet time leaving my friend Russ to head south?  The time spent was wonderful sharing stories, philosophy, catching up on our lives and having a pint or two along the way.  I would be leaving Russ and Rose's warm home hitting the road once again in search of other horizons.  I am driving down my last hours in British Columbia, another ferry crossing and then the border station back into the USA.  Drive through Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, and on to the Portland area of Gresham where I have several friends to visit.

I left Campbell River at 7:15 am with mixed clouds with rain showers during the drive to the ferry terminal.  As I drove along past the town of Courtenay I saw an odd sight.  It was a very tall tree rising above the rest of the forest with dark ominous clouds in the background. The tree appeared to be dead as all the limbs had no leaves but the limbs looked like many arms (10 or so) protruding out of the body of the tree.  It was at least a hundred feet taller than the forest with the dead branches looming over the roadway like a monster in some B horror movie.  On the top most limb was a lone bald eagle sitting there like the gatekeeper to some unknown world.  It was raining lightly which made it more surreal and struck me as odd as I drove past.

Another observation from seeing the lone tree, it was like a tree of life, some leaves at the bottom and some gone in the upper limbs.  Are the leaves like friends, some blown off and gone forever while others survived the struggles, the elements like wind, rain, and fire to remain with you even if from afar.  Just one of many thoughts to ponder as one drives alone for many miles at a time.

The ferry ride was uneventful, with the only interesting to me was seeing a helicopter lifting sling loads of supplies off the lighthouse island and dropping them on the deck of a ship anchored just off shore.  I saw the helicopter make 4 loads to the ship from the island as we approached and sailed by. I disembarked the ferry just after noon and headed for the border crossing back into the United States.

The rain had stopped but still overcast with a light wind but warmer temperatures than the morning drive as I saw the first sign telling of delays crossing the border which was about twenty to twenty five minutes.  I proceeded to move into the queue of vehicles waiting for a spot to one of the eight lanes for the passport check.  Some of the guards were actively inspecting the vehicles contents so I figured with all the items and crap I have loaded I might be in for a long day getting across.  I am watching my lane and all the vehicles being checked and how much time is spent going through items in the vehicles.  I am realizing with each vehicle going through I am in for a long delay as he is going through everything in the other vehicles. I’m next so I flash my “new” passport card (like a credit card) to the remote sensor next to the cameras as you approach the guard shack.  Photos taken, card scanned, the vehicle in front of me slowly exits after an extensive search so I slowly approach the guard inside his hut.

I’m upbeat and friendly, “Good afternoon sir, how’s it going for you today.”  No answer.  He took my passport and immediately started asking questions, “Where are you coming from?”  Alaska I respond with a smile. “Where are you headed?” Portland then eventually to San Antonio, Texas. “Are you carrying over ten thousand cash Canadian money?”  I wish, but no sir I’m not.  “Are you carrying any firearms, registered or unregistered?” No sir.  Besides the Flamingo in the front seat are you transporting any other birds?”  Smiling replied, “No sir, just Placido Flamingo and me on this trip.  The rest of the flock is vacationing in Mexico this time of year!”  I thought I saw a little hint of a smile when he said, “Would you roll down your passenger window for me?”  (Rolls window down) He tries to look inside but it is slap full of stuff with my Margaritaville chair staring him in the face.  



He looks at me and says, “Do you have an inventory list for all these items?”  I responded, “No sir, I was just happy I could get everything in here after shipping 600 pounds south.”  He walks back to the back and pops the back, spots a bottle of Jim Beam, closes it and walks back to my window.  I see you have “Jim” traveling with you.  I did not respond.



His next question and my answer I think finally broke the Ice (no pun intended).  “What if I have you pull over there and we empty all your items and go through everything?”  I smiled my big Southern smile and replied, “I am laid off of work, and I have all the time in the world.  Where would you like me to pull to and I’ll be glad to help you look at anything you want!  It will give me a chance to rearrange things to better access some items that I loaded in the wrong place.”

He looked at me, smiled, and said “San Antonio huh?  I loved it when I was stationed there in the Air Force.  Welcome to the United States of America Mr. Whittington, Welcome home!” 

I proceeded to drive about 200 feet and saw this sign.



American the Beautiful, Gotta Love it!


Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores