Traveling . . .

I’ve been on the road now over a month, part of it alone and others spent with friends along the way.  Parts of it different than what I might have imagined while other parts of it were exactly what I knew it would be.  There is the good and bad, the bitter sweetness that is life as we know it.  This journey wasn’t necessarily wanted but circumstances made it the right thing to do.  To take a break from what was the norm and go in search of something out there beyond the horizon I have seen every day.  I have been fortunate to have had several friends along the way to share time and conversations with.  To have fellowship and time to just “be” with no agendas or needs getting in the way.  

I think everyone should travel alone at some point in their life, ideally for at least a month.  You learn so much about yourself, you develop an inner confidence that you can’t find at home, nor when you’re surrounded with people you’re comfortable with.  You become stronger, more emotionally aware yet also so much more resilient.  You become a warmer soul, yet also far less inclined to take any sh٭t from people.  I’ve always thought myself warm but on the road meeting people along the way open you to listen more when talking with those met each day along the way.  That quick cup of coffee at five o’clock in the morning as you refuel talking with the attendant who may have been there all night or just coming to work who seem starved for conversation.  You learn a new level of appreciation for the opportunities you’ve had, and hopefully you realize that to waste them is a crime. You find purpose in the freedom.  All are positive changes to your psyche and well-being.

But to travel alone all the time is to miss something integral to humanity. We need connections to the people we care about. Travel isn’t only about seeing another historic town, or ancient church. It’s about sharing life changing experiences together, growing with people, solidifying friendships, and most of all creating memories.  And it takes at least two people to do that.
So you ask me which I prefer.  I would choose to travel with friends every day of the week, the ‘real world’ often gets in the way of that, but from the depth of my heart, the travels I’ve had with people I care about are literally the best experiences of my whole life.  And I’d guess it’s the same for a lot of people who travel.

Witnessing all the beauty the world has to offer is a privilege few people receive.  Don’t waste it. Speak to people close to you, make a plan to travel, be sincere, hit the road solo, learn, live and love. Then reconnect, travel together and watch, experience and appreciate the world together.  Because after all “Happiness is only real when shared”.

Spending time in the Pacific Northwest has been interesting.  Not exactly as I had imagined with still a small town feel here in Gresham (suburb of Portland).  There is a nice little main street town with several shops, restaurants with outside tables and an area where you can walk feeling safe and welcome.  I’ve been working with my hands again and that feels really good to see the fruits of your labor as the finished project wraps up.  The aches and pains each day of hard work feels good for a change and I think it is because it was of my own choosing and not something that was “for the company” or whatever.  It was for me to do to take an idea that was given to me, hopefully improve it with a final product that exceeds everyone’s expectations.

There is still more to see and do here, several other friends who I have not had a chance to catch up with.  I think a day trip to Mt. St. Helens on a clear day is in order before I leave the area as it did have an impact in my life so many years ago seeing it in all its beauty just before the big explosion.  I think it will be a fitting reminder of our lives and how timing is everything on our journeys.

Placido Flamingo is well but this post is my thoughts on traveling and he can tell you his in another post.  He is lounging in the hot tub with a new friend the last couple days.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores