Ten Life Lessons learned from Living in Alaska and Hiking

Over the past forty years, I've developed a deep love for mountains.  No matter the season or the location, there's something about towering peaks and deep valleys that (although terrifying with their steep cliff faces and inclement weather) inspire me.  It started off simply enough.  After the Army and a time in Atlanta working in law enforcement and as a paramedic, I started teaching myself to hang glide.  This started on small training hills in the Atlanta area then moved to nearby mountains in north Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee.  Many hours were spent flying over Lookout Mountain, Tut’s Hang Glider Heaven in north Georgia, Grandfather Mountain and playing on the sand dunes at Kitty Hawk, both in North Carolina. 
Grandfather Mountain, North Carolina

Eventually, I started flying in competitions first in the southeast but quickly started flying the professional circuits all over the world.  There were many times the weather turned un-flyable so whether alone or with friends I would hike and climb the mountains nearby.
Hang gliding Moab, Utah

Some might have said I wandered around aimlessly, uncertain about how to conduct myself in the “real world.”  I flew hang gliders about ten years competitively before I got that “real job” as a corporate pilot after getting my pilots licenses.  Wherever I traveled, there were always trails to hike or mountains to climb as I seemed to always look for that high peak or overlook on the trails I wandered.

I changed careers and eventually moved to Anchorage, Alaska leaving the South for places and distant horizons up North.  After taking a fishing trip to the Kenai River in 1987, I decided there would be adventure and excitement in the far north.  I had settled into a mediocre job in Atlanta.  Watching people go through their same routines and the traffic drove me crazy.  I longed for a different lifestyle which would be at a slower pace.  Although easier, you always had to prepare for anything because of the extreme conditions in Alaska.  I wouldn't be satisfied until I saw the sun set on distant horizons. Alaska, “the last frontier,” promised spectacular sunsets on breathtaking mountainous horizons.
Alaskan Fireweed Plant, Alaska Range

During that first year, I was in constant awe of the beauty around me and it continues to amaze me after living there for almost 20 years. I wouldn't look at the mountains, oceans, lakes, or the sky the same way after experiencing them all first hand.  The Aurora (Northern Lights) is truly a thing to behold as God paints the heavens in colors and shapes dancing across the sky. 
Northern Lights

While I could in no way be labeled an avid outdoor person, I really enjoy the time spent outside doing all sorts of activities.  I've learned a few things from simple mountain exploring, fishing and hiking that I've accomplished so far.

1. Always be prepared.  As clichéd as it seems, preparedness is the key to both hiking up a mountain and life, in general.  Plan carefully so you know what you are getting into.  You won't regret packing your rain jacket or the extra bottle of water.  Similarly, you won't regret the blanket or food you threw in your car during the winter for emergencies.  Adapt to things you come upon to make the best out of bad situations.

2. Remember to breathe.  You've started up a steep incline, and your legs are burning. Take a deep breath.  In and out, in and out, let the air fill your lungs.  In and out, in and out, slowly exhale.  Repeat this process and you'll be okay.  Works the same in life, you're late to work.  Your computer deleted the important file you need.  Whatever the case may be, just remember to breathe.  Bring plenty of water, it cannot be emphasized enough that hydration helps so many things, your body, muscles, and your ability to think clearly.
Turnagain Arm View

3. A little discomfort can be healthy.  Your muscles are cramping, your side aches and you can't seem to catch your breath.  You're calling yourself every type of crazy for attempting this hike to fly off this mountain in the first place.  It's a freakin' mountain! How can you climb a mountain to fly off it?  But you can, and you will.  The discomfort and the pain will make you stronger.  In life, it's important to push ourselves outside our comfort zone.  We grow by attempting what we think we can't accomplish.  Who knows? You just might surprise yourself; I know I have many times in my life.   

4. Appreciate the beauty.  I've learned it's important to take a few minutes, no matter where your hike goes or where life takes you.  Sometimes, we get so caught up in the destination; we forget how beautiful the journey is.  It's a breathtaking, dizzying and crazy ride we're all on. Take a few moments to revel in it.  As the Kenny Chesney song “Don’t Blink” reminds us . . . I've been tryna slow it down, I've been tryna take it in; in this here today gone tomorrow world we're livin' in.  Don’t Blink”.  Stop and rest as often as you need allowing yourself to take in all the beautiful things in your life.
Katmai NP Caldera Glacier & Mt. Griggs

5. Go your own pace.  When I first started hiking, I was terrified of going slower than others and holding them up.  One day, I decided it shouldn't matter.  I vowed to no longer let fear hold me back and stop me from going on new adventures.  Embrace your pace, and don't compare yourself to others.  You will enjoy the hike and your life so much more if you embrace who you are and where you are.  There's no need to go faster than you're comfortable going.  There's no need to belittle your accomplishments and measure them against others.  But, if you are part of a team with like-minded people it can make it more fun being able to share the experience with others.

6. Don't let fear stop you.  Many years ago, there were times I turned down an invitation for a hike or flight off some distant mountain due to fear: fear of looking incompetent, fear of the arduousness or fear of the mountain itself.  I wish I hadn't let fear stop me in those early days.  In life, as in hiking, don't let fear hold you back.  It might be more than you're used to, but attempt it anyway.  Regardless of whether or not you succeed, there is beauty in the attempt.  To be paralyzed by fear is to stop appreciating the beauty that surrounds us.  Look for it each day in so many things!


7. Just keep moving forward.  You are half-way up the mountain.  Your legs are aching, you are out of breath and you don't think you can take another step forward.  Regardless of the challenge, whether it's a work project or a marathon, you can do it.  Take a small break.  Step back, look around and appreciate how far you've come.  If you've made it this far, a few more steps won't hurt.  We all have tragedies in our lives but you have to “keep on keeping on!”  Moving forward gets us past the bad times, keeps us in the NOW and allows us to heal.  If you concentrate on just taking one step after another, you’ll get there in the end.

8. A little is better than nothing.  There are some days I'm just not feeling it.  But, I try anyway.  I've found it's better to attempt a small hike than to sit at home, stewing in whatever emotion I'm feeling.  So get out there, go for a walk or read a book.  Grab that cup of coffee (Baileys preferred).  Put on some music and shake it off.  Music is the fabric that holds our lives together, play it often.  We all have those days, but sometimes the activity, the people and the beautiful wilderness are all we need.  Open your mind to be alive in this moment for it is gone in an instant and no one wants to miss out on life.  It’s important to enjoy the process of what you’re going through even if it does not seem so at the time.  That is growth and with it comes happiness.
Placido Flamingo at Mt. Washington, BC

9. You gain perspective at the top.  The hike is rigorous and harder than you expected. You're ready to turn back, but you keep pushing forward.  The same applies to life.  The new job might not be what you expected.  The move to the new city isn't as seamless as you hoped, but you persevere.  At the end, you're able to gain perspective.  Maybe the new job wasn't what you were passionate about.  Maybe big city life isn't for you.  You tried, though.  Through trial and error, you've gained clarity and a new perspective on what is important in your life.  Onward to the next mountain!
Rainbow Peak, Alaska

10. Revel in your success; you’ve earned it.  You made it!  You reached the top of your mountain.  You got that promotion at work or accomplished some other life goal.  Congratulations!  Instead of rushing to the bottom or moving on to the next task, take a breath; give yourself a few minutes to realize how far you've come and how much you’ve accomplished.  Revel in that success. You are amazing.  Throw a little party for yourself, even if it is in your own mind at the time, as you still have to walk back down or go on to other things (tasks).  Reflect on how far you’ve come and don't be afraid to celebrate your accomplishments.  Be your own cheerleader. Others may not recognize what you have done for many do not know the minute details of our lives. But, you know and you've more than earned that right.

These are the Life Lessons we all need to make our way in this world.

Hiking, mountain climbing, or any activity like life, isn’t just about getting to the top and taking a photo to prove you did it.  Although that’s a part of it, you also have to make sure you enjoy the climb itself.  Changes and growth come with living a purposeful life for yourself and those around you.
Several years ago I came south from Alaska to hear some “Old Friends” play a reunion concert in the north Georgia Mountains at Amicalola Falls State Park and Lodge.  There were hiking trails to the upper and lower falls as well as scenic vistas from many locations on the property.
I remember watching the sun melt into an opal sky, relishing the whipped feather like clouds, sat on the quaint balcony of the resort watching the mountains stare back at all of us who came to see Cullowhee* play that weekend.  Gradually, the night went ablaze with moonlight and we wrapped ourselves in the music.  It was nothing less than magical. It was so real, like I woke up in wonderland.  We bit the crisp wind, rejoiced in the music and heaved at the silence with each other after the music ended.  No one wanted the night to end.

The empty spaces in the night were mine to unfurl.

That night was like an assertive live song trying to speak to me.  Speak through me.  Speak with me.  The drama warped my being leaving a subtle shiver in my thoughts.
The lullaby of nothingness echoed in my consciousness the rest of the night.  I made a promise to be back whenever I feel the need to be surrounded by these timeless beautiful mountains and the music it brings with it.  With a speck of dusted stars in my eyes, I bade the night good-bye.
Moonlight through the trees

*Cullowhee was a group of friends who played all over the southeast during the 80’s. They still get together for reunion concerts for the many friends and fans who have loved their music over the years.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores