Cocoa Beach, Florida - Somewhere on A1A

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Somewhere on A1A

Johnny and I made our way up to the Kennedy Space Center and spent the day doing tours and looking at the exhibits on the grounds.  The tour bus excursion included going out to the launch complex 39A & B where the Apollo moonshots would lift off.  The complex of roads leading the rocket crawler from the Vehicle Assembly Building to the launch pad was massive.  The last section on each pad was a ramp to the pad tower.  It took over 24 hours to move a rocket the 3 miles to ready it for launch.


 The tour took us to the old Mercury/Gemini control room where one building housed all the computers for the lift-off.  Today’s computer or iPad could probably handle all the work of the many computers during those launches.  In another building was the control room where men sat giving commands and communicating with the spacecraft during its flight.  It was amazing seeing the consoles we had only seen on television before. 

After spending the day at the space center we headed over to Cocoa Beach to swim and surf.  Now, we were two Georgia boys with no ocean anywhere close-by but we wanted to try our hand at standing on a board and racing across the water.  We camped out on the beach and no one seemed to care as there were a couple other tents not far away from where we pitched ours in the cool sand of late afternoon.

The next morning, we headed over to Ron Jon’s Surf Shop right on the beach and talked with a couple of guys who rented us surf boards and gave some basic hints to paddle out, look for a good wave, and hopefully ride it into shore.


 It was not as easy as the two surfers had told us as we made several attempts before one of us was able to stand up and catch a wave.  Johnny was first up and after several more tries I was making my way down the crest of the wave heading towards the beach.

The first time that I paddled out the back (out past where the waves were breaking so that you’re in position to catch unbroken waves), it was amazing.  It was a little nerve-wracking to paddle up and over waves that looked like they were about to crash on my head at any minute.  Johnny and I felt like we were bracing ourselves for battle, taking on each oncoming wave one at a time . . . at least in theory, until our fear and anxiety began to rise.  We had to sprint and get out past the breakers and were quickly out of breath.

But once we were out, it is so peaceful.  You get to sit on your surfboard, enjoying the view while noticing how lumps start to appear on the horizon and watching how they roll in and change shape to get a sense of where the wave will break, if it’s surf-able or not and where you need to be to catch the wave.  You watched as fellow surfers started to paddle for a wave, started to stand up and then disappeared down the other side of the wave.

As I sat there watching everyone take their turn in the lineup, I looked out to the horizon and noticed a larger lump moving in.  Uh-oh, thinking to myself that this one looked like it was going to break sooner and way before it got to us.  Crap.  That meant that we would have to paddle out to meet the wave.  We would probably have to turtle roll (flipping the surfboard upside down as a wave crashes over you) in order to get through the wave without getting crushed.  And, so we did.  Survived we did, again waiting in the calm beyond the wave.  My heart was pounding in my head.

After several attempts, the next time we paddled out I caught my first unbroken wave, and then my second.  The first was OK.  After I caught the wave, I was a little off balance. The front edge of my board dug in and I fell off tumbling underwater, having to paddle back out once again. Johnny was standing as he rode down past me heading a long way toward the shore.  The second wave was AWESOME.  It wasn’t a big wave but I got up, managed to turn my board so that I trimmed across the face (a little bit at least) and rode the wave all the way into the beach.  It was an exhilarating experience.  You could feel all the power of the wave surging forward and backing off slightly before surging forward again.

When you ride a wave, it's not YOUR power propelling you; it's the strength of the natural phenomenon.  Surfing was a great experience for me and taught me a couple of things that carried on in my life.  1.  Check your expectations.  I wanted to just get on a board and ride the waves and it took time to do just that.  My expectations exceeded my ability at first but with practice I could get up and ride the waves.  2.  Slow down.  Surfing is a fast and fun experience but in order to do well, I had to slow down, learn the basics and then have fun with it.  After a few
crash and burns, I began to feel the balance and form that I needed to see and catch the next wave.  3.  Commitment.  You have to have commitment to get out past the breaking waves on your head and get to that calm area to ride the big wave to the beach.  If you give up before you get out past the breakers you may never have this unique experience in life.  4.  Patience.  There’s a lot of waiting involved in surfing . . . waiting for the ocean to calm down so that you can paddle out, waiting for a set of waves to approach, waiting for the right wave.  I learned to sit on my board and to appreciate the amazing gift it was to be in the ocean.  5.  Learn something new.  It was an incredible experience to learn something completely new with my best friend.  How many opportunities do you have to do that?  I was out of my comfort zone but I think that was why this experience was so rewarding.  Later in life being out of your comfort zone is a good thing to help you grow.  Yes, I pushed myself physically and mentally.  We fell countless times; I got water up my nose and we both earned a few new bruises.

There’s something about learning a new sport that makes one feel incredibly alive. It made me happy and enjoying the experience with Johnny remains with me to this day. This experience made me more open to try new things and to be uncomfortable because the reward is often so great.


Later on, I learned to hang glide and fly hot air balloons and traveled all over the world doing something I loved and walked down some unusual paths in my life.  But scuba diving, fast cars, and surfing with Johnny started it all for me.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores