Miss my friend Lewis Grizzard

It has been awhile since my friend Lewis Grizzard passing, March 20, 1994, and it seems like a lifetime ago that we used to sit at the bar in Harrison’s on Peachtree telling funny stories and sharing our Southern heritage with anyone who would listen.  We joked about our several ex-wives and that became part of his stand-up comedy routine.  I miss my friend, his witty humor, his outlook on Southern life, and I miss having those drinks together with his stepbrother Ludlow Porch (Bobby Hanson) each night laughing the time away.  Much has changed since those times, his passing, and my time in Alaska, but the stories still make me laugh.


I am reminded of a story that Lewis used to tell in his concerts years ago, it is the story of an older retired couple and the renewed spirit of youth getting ready for a cruise.

I hope you will enjoy:
“Mr. Wojciehowicz had been retired for a year when his wife of fifty years suggested one day, "Why don't we take a cruise for a week and make wild passionate love like we did when we were young?" Stanley thought it over and agreed.

He put on his hat and coat and went down to the corner drug store.  Stanley stepped up to the counter and asked for a bottle of seasick pills and a box of condoms.  Upon returning home his wife greeted him at the door saying, "You know dear, I've been thinking it over and I see no reason why we couldn't manage a month long cruise so we could relax and make wild passionate love like we did when we were young."

He smiled, turned around and went back to the pharmacy.  He stepped up and ordered 12 bottles of seasick pills and a dozen boxes of condoms.

Upon returning back home his wife met him on the porch with a big smile on her face. "Stanley, I have a marvelous idea. You know, now that our children are all on their own, there's nothing to stop us from cruising around the world."

"I'll be right back," he said.  Back to the drug store he went.  When he approached the pharmacy counter the druggist looked up with a puzzled grin.  Mr. Wojciehowicz sheepishly ordered 297 bottles of seasick pills and the same number of boxes of condoms.

The startled pharmacist busied himself filling the order then passed the wrapped package across the counter saying, "You know Mr. Wojciehowicz, you’ve been doing business with me for over thirty years.  I certainly don't mean to pry, but if it makes you that sick, why do you keep doing it so much?"


We miss your stories Lewis but they still make us laugh and smile.  Gone on ahead, scouting for the rest of us!

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores