Morning Mail

I had written this back during the Christmas holidays and never posted this at the time. I have since changed jobs but at the time I had moved my office from a nice quiet end of the hallway location into another part of the building back into the mainstream of activity and distractions from getting work done. Maybe you can relate to this. . .

I was going through my mail when my manager poked his head in my office. Quick! My mind has a flashback to a Dilbert cartoon. Dilbert gets back from a business trip and settles in his cubicle and says, 'Ah, being back in my cubicle is like being back in the security of the womb'. Just then, the boss pokes his head in and says, 'Just thought I'd poke my head in and see how you're doing.' Return to the present.

My boss pokes his head in and says,

“You've moved”.

Don't say it. Don't say it. Running through my mind, 'I can see you got to be a manager because of your superior observational skills.'

Instead, I say; “Yep. I've moved”.

“Any problems?”

Don't say it. Don't say it. Running through my mind, 'Yeah, I'm in the same area as you. I can't goof off as much anymore.'

Instead, “Nope, everything's just fine and dandy”.

Maybe he'll go away. It works. He does.

The rest of the morning is taken up by people walking past my office (unlike my old one, this office is on a highly traveled corridor) stopping, looking in, and saying:

“What are you doing here?”

I've moved.

“You've moved?”

Yep.

“So, you work over here now?”

Yep.

It was a really productive morning. Somehow, I got through all my mail and was actually able to do some surfing before I got down to the many tasks at hand. This was after I finished my morning coffee and read the paper.

Actually that was my manager’s morning; I would get right into multi-tasking the several projects I was working on.


Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores