I was just looking for a new coffee maker.

It has been extremely busy for me lately and at times there seem to be many tasks at hand. I think we all go through those time periods in our life where so many things around us affect other things in our lives.I have to say out front that I love coffee. I like the taste crossing my tongue and that warm feeling in my throat and beyond as it is going down making its way to my stomach. I awake every morning to the fresh smell of brewing coffee and that first cup starts the day with just the right mixture of ‘an old friend’ (Maxwell House ‘Master Blend’) in that certain familiar cup setting the stage for how my day is to go. We are all creatures of habit and usually if things change it sets into motion ‘other changes’ that might sometimes go unexpected or unexplained.

My Mr. Coffee (Space saver model) went on the fritz this week. This after about five years of faithful service with at least brewing 2 pots a day going through it, the bottom warmer finally died. It was a slow death as I first had an indication that Mr. Coffee was on its last leg about a month ago when I awoke to a freshly brewed lukewarm pot sitting there waiting for me on my counter.

Being the great handyman that I am after some pulling on this or pushing on that with a couple of sharp “taps” on the counter it started working again. I knew that this was only a quick fix and that I should start looking for a new one. Each day it provided me another 2 pots and I was always grateful for its continued use providing me just one more cup.

I didn’t start looking and after a couple of days with no coffee it was time to make a trip to find another. After my Saturday morning breakfast I headed to Costco to look for a new or improved coffee maker.

I’m not the latte or foo foo kind of drinker as I like my coffee the old fashioned way, brewed. So I make my way past all of these huge plasma televisions with high definition and computers galore. I head past the ‘snow tires’ and find myself on the ‘appliance isle’.

I’m looking at all of these different coffee contraptions on the shelves before me. There are ones that grind your beans and then brew and others that were Frappuccino and Espresso machines. There were lattes and cappuccinos (What is the difference besides and F? It all tastes like crap to me) and more versions of the conventional coffee maker to pick from than should be humanly possible. Some were for 4 cup, others 12 cup, and still others large enough for all of my neighbors to come have a drink on a snowy afternoon. With timer or without? Too many questions to answer as I just wanted one that had a clock and would auto stop after two hours if I forgot and left it on.

There are too many choices to make the decision now . . . I think I will check out WalMart before I buy one.

Now comes the problem and the other reason for my post . . .

I walk further down the aisle when I see it sitting on the shelf . . .

I cannot believe my eyes as entertaining my grand daughter lately it seems like I am overdosing on seeing this . . . over and over again. It started out very subtle and almost unnoticed but has been there in front of my eyes the whole time.

A Chocolate Fountain . . . by Rival.











But I am troubled. I think of the champagne rivers down banquet tables, and toppling from glass to glass down to be picked up to go with the cake. It is the end of days, all for 47.99. Just like in Roman days were the drinks flowed and the food was feasted on by everyone. Now you can have one in your own home, everyday or night and . . .

I was just looking for a new coffee maker.

My head exploded with so many thoughts . . . the wheels inside clicking away for all of the different possibilities . . . on the end of aisle 12 at Costco.

Let’s see . . . parties . . . weddings . . . backyard BBQ’s . . . so many things flashed through my mind. Have these personal ‘pound makers’ been out there?

I have seen a giant chocolate fountain here in Anchorage at Alaska Wild Berry Products.


Constructed in June of 1994, and modified by Sampson Steel Company in 1996, this 20 foot Chocolate "Waterfall" is believed to be the largest of its kind in the world.

Using an idea conceived by Alaska Wild Berry Products' owner Peter Eden, Homer artist Mike Sirl designed and built this

Chocolate "Waterfall."

It contains 3,400 pounds of real liquid chocolate donated by Peter's Chocolate

Division of Nestle Foods and Guittard Chocolate Company.




This easily reminds one of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I really like the Gene Wilder version but the graphics in the new Johnny Depp movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory made you almost feel like it was there in front of you. You could almost smell and taste it on the television as seen HERE in a previous post.

What would a Southern version of this be?

Maybe . . . In Georgia or Alabama we have a gravy version of the fountain with little floating biscuits in it. Available in several flavors . . . buttermilk fried chicken, turkey giblet, or creamy sausage gravies. I would love that!

To go from ignorance of the existence of a thing to total, all-consuming desire for it in 11 seconds is something of a revelation. Usually only wool makes me feel this way, or perhaps a first kiss.

But now a chocolate fountain? So many types of chocolate to choose to make that special coating for our favorite foods . . . the obvious, strawberries and pretzels, marshmallows, and cookies just waiting to be dipped in the sumptuous, mouth-watering chocolate. Yummy!

Picture this. Your guests arrive for the party enveloped in the warm, decadent aroma of chocolate. As they move closer to the mouth-watering scent, they see a beautiful fountain of cascading chocolate and they begin to gather around it, intrigued by the delicious goodies surrounding the centerpiece.

I can see it now at your next party that thought of . . . This party is beginning to really contradict my goal of losing 20 lbs. But how does one resist 5 pounds in a chocolate fountain? Think of it, a flowing wonder of dark chocolate with a spread of marshmallows, strawberries, Oreos, pound cake, oh yes, and frozen cheese cake bites!

The RSVPs are beginning to come in. We have at least 10 people coming over including a few we hope won’t show up. That’s okay, more chocolate for us! I can see it clearly now.

Seriously, I need not buy too much wine. Spend it on the cheese and chocolate! Now I just need to find some things to supplement the chocolate and I’m thinking lighter foods with cheese in them? Or is that too much?

Perhaps a spinach salad with pears and gorgonzola or maybe pita chips and hummus would be appropriate to serve? But I am really not quite sure what hummus is so I should probably strike that off the list.

Now it occurs to me after sitting here writing for awhile now the flip side to this chocolate dilemma. Playing the Devil’s advocate now . . .

You’ve seen it before: A woman sticks her hand in a fountain, glances around, and goes in face-first. Pick up a Rival Chocolate Fountain and you can try this at home or during a birthday party. On a slow day at the office it might entertain your co-workers.










I may never understand the appeal of a chocolate fountain. Just seeing filthy hands reaching towards the sloppy brown sludge that is sliding down a hot metal tower makes me nauseous to the point blacking out.

At least in some people’s eyes: the dreaded and contaminated chocolate fountain. I call it, "the breeding ground for disease." But, I think that the chocolate fountain things look nasty. It just . . . they look tacky, like those god awful miniature fountains that tacky people use for wedding cake decorations. And flowing chocolate . . . it isn't pretty. I don't care what other people say; it reminds me of river water.

I am sure we will see if this is the “thing” this year, and I am sure someone out there is going to tell me they got one of these for the holidays (bring it over to my house for a party, but please just once (my waist can’t do more than one a year), and then let me know in a year if you are keeping it in the garage).

But it is necessary for me to see a flowing stream of chocolate. What will they think of next? What is our next “must have” product waiting for us to find while walking the aisle for a coffee maker?

It’s truly a chocolate lover’s dream come true.


Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores