Dog Eat Dog?

With the recent pet food recalls and the horrible incident with poison being found in over 50 brands of wet dog and cat food it is sad so many animals were lost with many still sick.

In my house I have a ‘large’ golden retriever named Levi. Now Levi is my dog and follows me around everywhere. We have our time together on Saturday mornings when he goes with me to meet friends and business associates for breakfast. We will ride around completing the ‘chores’ for the day and spend the time together enjoying each others company. Usually by noon Levi is ready to head home for his morning nap and quiet time.

Levi is over 10 years old now and is not the nimble dog that he was in his youth. He has gained weight and his face has turned grey like mine. His step is a little slower now and he has trouble climbing into my rig to go with me but he is always the faithful one lying patiently in front of the sliding glass door on my balcony looking for me to return home. He waits all day looking at the moose or perhaps other dogs walking around our property.

Levi had gotten the extra weight from me feeding him treats and snacks that I keep around my computer area. It was easy to give him a cracker or maybe some popcorn that I might snack on as he spends time at my feet under my desk. At one point he reached almost 120 pounds so the vet told me I had to quit giving him so much junk. He wanted us to help him loose about 20 pound to get his weight down to just under 100 pounds. It was a battle but we won . . . for awhile.

I was thinking with this pet food scare it may be easier now to give Levi his food and treats without my wife’s scolding since the dog food is possibly tainted. He does not eat any ‘wet’ food so it may be a stretch for my wife to believe me when I tell her it is ok to give him something off of the dinner table . . . Hun, it’s safer than that food we get from the store. It sounded good to me but I don’t think she will buy that for a minute.

I can just see it now . . . Levi bringing the morning paper with the headlines reading, “Dog gone the pet food! Local stores pull dog and cat food due to some ‘sickie’ putting rat poison in the food at the plant.”

I guess for a short time I can slip Levi a thing or two as long as I can slip him a carrot or a nice Nilla wafer with a touch of peanut butter on it to watch his reactions. He is still entertaining after all these years.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores