Mother’s Day Remodel

I wanted to show my little project that came to fruition on Mother’s Day. It had been several weeks coming as I had wanted to start before I left on my trip but was not able to.

I had started buying all of the parts and pieces before I left but ran into a couple of small problems when I found a base vanity cabinet on sale but made the mistake of not buying it that day as I did not have a way to get it home with me. I should have paid for it and came back to pick it up.

During the trip there were multiple stops to look for another base cabinet on sale but we never found one. So when I returned home the search started over again and I decided it was not going to be easy to find another one on sale.

Here are a couple of before pictures of the sinks . . .


















I was able to get everything ready on Friday night and staged so I could start after I returned from breakfast Saturday morning. I wanted to get the demo portion of the job done fairly quickly and hoped to have everything torn out and disconnected by around 1 pm. Everything went fairly well except the way the cabinet we screwed to the wall there was no way to get them out without taking the lavatory bowls off the countertop. That was a pain as the bowls were fastened well and I had a hard time getting them off. I was able to disassemble things and moved them from the master bath downstairs and into the garage. The hardest part was getting the 60” long base cabinet out of the bathroom and downstairs.

Here is the old toilet and Light fixture . . .

















While I was doing the demo I sent my wife and daughter to get the new paint which gave me a chance to get as much done without interruptions. I have found in the past that one of the leading causes for divorce in this country is couples trying to wallpaper and remodel together.

Demo pictures . . .









How about this ‘Son of a Son of a Sailor wallpaper’?









I finished my demo around 2 pm and then started the task of cutting out the old water supply shut off valves and replacing them with new ones and new lavatory supply lines to the new faucets. The old ones were leaking and due to the style of old supply shut off they could not be repaired so I replaced them all.

I repaired the toilet flange and the drain waste lines going into the wall on both sinks. As the afternoon wore on there was painting for the bathroom and the bedroom as well there were many items to move around so the painting could be completed.

I removed and replaced the light fixture and installed the new toilet.

















I replaced the wall cabinet and secured it to the wall in case there are any shakes and rattles from the earthquakes we get from time to time. There are sometimes a few moderate shakes that knock over things on shelves or countertops so I wanted to secure the cabinet to keep things from falling off a wobbly cabinet.

By Saturday nights end working around 10:30 pm I had replaced all of the water and waste lines, installed a new toilet in both the master bath and the hall bath, removed and replaced the light fixture and painted the bathroom and master bedroom. I had the new base cabinet in place except for securing it to the wall.

It was time for a Guinness and some sleep as the night sky slowly darkened around midnight. We are still gaining about 5:30 minutes each day so it is remaining lighter outside. We are not into the full light days but it will not be long as there is light now at about 4:30 am and it remains until about 12:30 now.

Sunday morning started quickly with securing the cabinet and the hard part of moving the five foot granite top from the garage to the second floor bathroom. I started assembling the two faucets and drains onto the new top with it on the bedroom floor to give me more room to work on things. I could put things together, make adjustments, and have everything ready before lifting the large heavy top up onto the cabinet base.



















In a couple of hours I have everything installed, the water back on and the restroom totally working. It went smoothly and all of the debris is now in the garage awaiting my next trip to the landfill or possibly a garage sale.










The final touches was the new shower curtain to go with the countertop and my bathroom was complete.










At the end of this mother’s day I spent time at the hospital when my daughter thought she had her water break and was going into labor. After a couple of hours she was sent back home to rest as it could be any day now that the baby comes.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores