The Day the Music Died

I wanted to post this last week but things got crazy here and I missed the opportunity to do it on the anniversary so for that I am sorry. I did not forget it just was not possible so I wanted to get this one posted before too long a time had passed.

Music has always been a great part of my life and in my younger years was lucky enough to see in person . . . LIVE . . . many of the great bands from the 60’s and 70’s. It was something to see The Beatles at Atlanta Stadium one night then driving all night long to Houston Texas to see them play again the next day long before there were Interstate Highways to make a smooth quick journey. Watching Led Zeppelin at the Atlanta International Pop Festival in May then driving to Tampa to see them again in September. There were many from that era and the music has always guided many of us through life . . . the ‘Parrothead’ in me continues to thrive as I wear daily my “Island” shirts even in the frozen arctic of Alaska.

I still love the Beatles though, especially Abby Road. Buddy Holly died on February 3, 1959, in a plane crash in Iowa during a snowstorm. It’s rumored that the name of the plane was: American Pie. It wasn’t but it makes the ‘legend’ easier to swallow somehow.

The same plane crash that killed Buddy Holly also tragically took the lives of Richie Valens ("La Bamba") and The Big Bopper ("Chantilly Lace.") Since all three were so prominent at the time, February 3, 1959, became known as "The Day The Music Died."

One of my all time favorites by Don Mclean is “Vincent” and something tells me Don, Vincent, and I shared these lines from R.E.M.

"When the day is long and the night, the night is yours alone,

When you're sure you've had enough of this life, well hang on,

Don't let yourself go, 'cause everybody cries and everybody hurts sometimes"

Can you feel the music?

Many times our lives and circumstances change . . . continually . . . with the ebb and flow that takes us sometimes to uncharted territory. But one thing for me anyway has been the music in my life and it’s tempo and the limitless songs within my mind.

Can you hear it yet?

Now don’t you feel better!

Ice


Comments

Anonymous said…
The music of today is lacking what the music had of years ago. Songs with meaning that reached deap within the recesses of the soul.

I too saw the Beetles at the Atlanta Fulton County Stadium - with all those thousands and thousands of screaming girls. You could barely hear the music.
Icewind said…
Oddly enough it was probably more about the experience of seeing them in person than the 'music' that night.

Total deafening madness with that 'Had to be there' warm feeling when it was over.

Those were great times.

Ice

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores