Gone on Ahead . . .

I went to a memorial service this weekend for one of my wife’s coworker’s husband who passed away while we were in Mexico after a long illness. His battle with cancer was like many in that there were periods of good and bad . . . of remission and active growth.

Death is a strange beast. It lurks unseen in the corners of our life, seen on television and read in newspapers. Then one day someone close to you dies or is diagnosed with a deadly disease and the pain of it is brought home to you and your friends. From that point on it jumps out at you whenever it can. A film with a moving funeral and you're weeping, a famous person dies (Tim Russet) whom you do not even know in person and it cuts close to the bone.

I can say that I did not know Don Dobson all that well. I can only say he was an acquaintance as we had only spent time together at my wife’s office parties or cook outs several times a year. I can say after listening to the stories by his friends who gathered that I missed out on the possibility of a great friendship. Don and I are the same age only a few months separating our births and seeing all of the pictures on display I can say we shared many of the same adventures in life.

I saw through his friends stories that he had been a good friend . . . a great competitor on the racquetball court over many years . . . a wonderful father to his children and husband to Jodi.

What is the measure of a man or his life? What is it in everyone that seeks to be the best for everyone else in the close circle of family and friends? My wife and I were talking after leaving and jokingly made the comment that we may need to find a group of homeless people to attend our life celebration . . . “Here’s a good meal, enjoy! Brought to you by . . .” I do not think it will be that way but those things wander through you mind after the reminder that life is always to short for many of us and that everyone needs to live fully and appreciate those around us.

Don Dobson loved fishing . . . racquetball . . . trips with his family . . . and cookouts with his neighbors. The many people who attended the celebration saw many from all walks of life who enjoyed his passion for life . . . and the love for his family . . . Don will be missed . . . and I can truly say that I am poorer for not getting to know this man better in our brief gatherings.



















Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores