Fashion over 50

I decided to buy myself another pair of blue jeans recently and discovered a couple of things since my last foray into the world of fashion. I guess the first thing is there really is no ‘fashion’ living in Alaska as there are so many different looks, styles, and clothing to adapt to the sometimes harsh conditions we have here.


Buying a pair of jeans should be a simple thing but as it turns out that sometimes brings with it a mixture of things to ponder or deal with. I had thought I had given it the proper amount of thought in that I had found myself wearing the same pair each week, washing them over and over because the several other pair didn’t quite feel comfortable during my long workdays.


I’ve gone through different periods of my life where it seems I am either “dressing nice” by someone else’s standard in a suit with a tie during my corporate pilot years and my brief stint in motivational sales speeches but most of my ‘older’ life has been spent in jeans or work pants during my time in the construction industry. It was always more of comfort than style of dress.


When I first started wearing jeans there was a local brand in Atlanta called “Male” jeans that was quiet popular. I was quite thin in those days and my jeans fitted me perfectly mainly because to be blunt, I don’t really have a butt. I’ve had to wear a thick wallet and sometimes a handkerchief to balance out both sides but sadly as they lost market share about the only ‘brand’ you could find was Levi Strauss.


Levi Jeans have been the workhorse of jeans for decades and the original was pretty much it for most people but as times and fashion changed they added numbers like 501 to the original jean and it went on and on with creative designs called; 505, 507, 511, 527, 539, 550, 560, and lastly 569. They come in several varieties and cut from skinny, straight, tapered, and boot. There are almost too many choices for the various body types to please everyone.



I have noticed my body taking on a different and more rounded shape than it used to be in my stomach area but it is still ‘firm’ when punched and not a flabby navel or surrounding area. I am by no means obese but I have noticed the differences over the last couple of years. It did not mysteriously appear overnight like someone waved a magic wand and puff, its there.


I usually do most of my chores on Saturday after a breakfast meeting I have with several friends and this one was like many others as I had made my way to Costco, Best Buy, and Frigid North (a local company that sells computer and electronics parts). I made my way to the store and looked for my size as a sales lady asked if she could be of help.


My size fluctuates during the summer and winter months by about 10 pounds and normally goes from 36 in the summer to 38 during the winter months. It could be that we are not as active in the winter or possibly with all of the darkness you get bored at times and tend to eat more. She suggested I start at a 38 but would probably need a 40 inch waist. I told her that would not work since I have short legs and it is sometimes hard to find the right inseam length. I can remember when years ago I wore 30”x30” jeans and with time slowly made my way through 32”x30” and 34”x30”. I figured when I hit 36”x30” it was time to switch to 36”x31” jeans which I have now worn for the last ten years or so.


The 38’s were comfortable but had a slight “dunlap” over the belt that was not too flattering so she suggested I go to a size 40 until summer time when my weight would go back down again. She informed me that in my ‘middle age’ condition I have what is known as “two-bellies." She told me what happens to some men in my age group develop two distinct, shall we say, midsections?


I did not know this about myself but do remember times when I sit down to use the restroom that I have noticed when I sit . . . I have a belly . . . and when I stand it appears to go away. That’s probably not totally true but it’s the visual I am trying to get across to everyone.

So what exactly did I learn?


I still enjoy wearing jeans and that skosh more room they provide.


I wish the “skosh” might move to another place where it is needed more now than then.


I’m not out of shape . . . as ‘round ‘ is still a shape.


Can fashion and old farts go together in our busy times?


Probably not but with getting older . . . Who cares?


Ice

Comments

kenju said…
"Who cares" is exactly what I think, these days. The jeans I like best come from a catalog; where I can special order the waist (elastic) and seat (full) that I like.
JeanMac said…
What a terrific post!Thought I was the only one going thru this with jeans.
Icewind said…
With age comes the comfort of not caring anymore what other people think about certain things.

We now go for comfort, ease, no hassle in our lives and that includes Jeans as well.

Thanks for the comments.

Ice

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores