Alaskan Light (Night)

I picked up from the airport this afternoon a friend who is coming back up to Alaska to work with us. He was here briefly almost a year and a half ago working but it was more in the late winter into spring part of the year.


It was good seeing him again and catching up on things this afternoon and until one of my out of town projects starts later this month he will be staying at my house. We kicked back for a bit and relaxed and talked about the economy in Montana and Alaska before everyone started to arrive at the house. My daughter and son in law decided they wanted to come over for a dinner of tacos and fajitas and go over some things since they never made it by over the weekend.


It was a great dinner and the two grandkids were happy to eat peanut butter and jelly while everyone else chowed down on both chicken and beef fajitas as well as soft and hard shell tacos. We made fresh guacamole and a salsa blend with my “magic bullet” for that quick and easy meal.


We spent time sitting out on the deck but it was cooler tonight that the last couple of days with our high temperature of only 60. The last week has been wonderful with warmer temperatures than we had all last summer when we only hit 70 degrees for one day and it was only for about 2 ½ hours.


The kids headed out to go home and Bill was sitting there talking when about 9:30 pm Bill looked at me and told me he was thinking of heading to bed since he had been up since 4 am to catch his plane. He asked me what time did I think it was going to be dark? A quick grin came across my face as I told him it would probably be about October.


I’m used to the seasonal changes so I don’t really think about those changes until something reminds us that it is different here than many other places. I do notice that brief time with each season that all of a sudden it is light outside or is dark before you get off work but those realizations come and go quickly as your body adjusts to the changes.


We’re not quite into full light right now but we are still gaining about 5:30 minutes of daylight each day meaning it will not be long before it is bright all the time.


Bill headed off to bed and hopefully he will drift into that easy sleep with the cool nights and half moon giving him his welcome to Alaska.


I’m reminded of the old joke about an “only in Alaska” summer weather forecast: “Mostly sunny for the remainder of the night.”


It happens.


Ice

Comments

JeanMac said…
I love "mostly sunny for the rest of the night" - - -

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores