Hunting in Alaska


Winter is almost here even though we have had an “Indian Summer” lately, not the same as other places where they get to 70 degrees . . . ours in Alaska is more like 50’s which is not bad at all. 

Hunting season is quickly coming to an end for most game and people have filled their freezers with moose, bear, caribou, and other game.  Fishing has for the most part also finished so my gear is stowed away now until next summer or the occasional ice fishing trip.  Fly rods neatly placed in their holders . . . creels and waders hung for the winter.

I went on two hunts this year and my moose hunt left much to be desired.  There was all of the preparation . . . going out for the hunt . . . the tracking which is my favorite part of the hunt . . . only to find no legal moose lurching about anywhere.  I came back somewhat dejected not to kill food for my family.  It’s a man thing I guess, wanting to provide.  It dates back centuries and is a way of life in the arctic with hunter/gatherers.


This year it was my son in law Brandon who shot a moose with one of Deb’s dad’s rifles.  He was able to help fill the freezer with meat this time while we provided salmon and halibut to our cache in the freezers.


My other hunt this season was a pheasant hunt.  It had many of the same elements as a moose hunt getting everything ready, looking over the topo maps to figure out the area to be hunted, loading up and heading out.  The drive out was long and bumpy but my friends had scouted the area over the years and thought this would be a productive year since they had not hunted in this area for two years.  I was excited to go but once you kill a moose the hard work begins as you then have to field dress the carcass protecting everything and cooling the meat.  It is a long process when done right gives one excellent tasting meat with no ‘gamey taste’.

Hunting for your own food, you are witnessing . . . in total . . . the effect of your actions on nature . . . you are the driving aspect of consumption . . . and providing for your basic needs of food in a respectful manner which is one of the most satisfying acts possible.

This was my first peasant hunt in Alaska so I was somewhat excited when we arrived to our ‘scoped out’ area and began our hunt.  After a few sightings and several shots fired I had to question the group I was with.

You cannot shoot at poor people like that.

It was not quite like I had envisioned it in my mind.

Good day!

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores