Mental Health is alive and well in San Francisco


I have a buddy that lives in San Francisco who tells me that like many places in this country that the cost of health care is way out of reach for many people . . . including him.  He tells me that with some of his ‘issues’ he has to get creative to get the kind of quality health care that is readily available in his area.

He tells me that on the Golden Gate Bridge there are yellow emergency mental health phones located every 200 feet or so.  These are possible suicidal jumpers who can make that last call for help if they want too.  He says he cannot afford mental health services, so every Thursday; he goes to the bridge to get some free therapy.  There is one catch, throughout the conversation he has to say he feels like jumping.

"So lately, I just don't feel productive and a lot of my mother issues keep coming up."

"Sir, this is only for emergencies."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I feel like jumping.  Now, can we get back to that dream I had last week?"

Why not strategically place these phones in places where we really need them?  Like in junior and senior high schools where the kids who have problems may get some help.  Why wait till it's an emergency before you can pick up a phone for help?  I think we should have access to them in every uncomfortable situation we might come across. Just like those call boxes on the side of the freeway.  "Hey, I'm having a break down.  Can AAA send somebody out to give me a jump?"  You never know if you’re having a bad day and need that little positive reinforcement on the other end of the line.

Ice

Comments

jeanmac said…
Good post. Some people will call for help if it's available.
Icewind said…
You get it where you can these days!

Ice

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores