Costco weirdness


Last Saturday I made my way to Costco for my normal stop after breakfast for next week’s staples.  I make my way around the store in a clockwise direction which is against the normal flow of people within the store.

I do this for several reasons which are logical to me and that is I head to the areas where I have the heaviest items to place in my basket or underneath so as not to crush the lighter or smaller items to be placed in later.

I can get my firelogs and my wife’s case of Diet Pepsi and the weeks where I get toilet paper or paper towels they can go underneath the main part of the cart.

As I decided if I had an extra gold bar available to buy fresh fruit since it is so expensive here I made my way around to get a few fugi apples for my lunch.  I also grabbed a bunch of bananas for a peanut butter and banana sandwich which is still one of my favorites.

I stopped by the large case which had grapes and plums on it and stopped to figure out if I should get a few.  There was a lady who walked up beside me and asked what I thought of the grapes this week?  They had several kinds between the green and red grapes and those with or without seeds in them.  I told her I thought the green seedless were the best but the red grapes where the sweetest.

We both then moved over to the part of the case and trying to figure out if we wanted plums.  I am not really into plums so I do not know a lot about them but the lady asked me which ones I wanted and I told her.  We spent several minutes going around this case of fruit talking about which one we wanted and if we wanted seedless grapes or not.

It was nice to have this conversation with her as she seemed to be flirting with me.  It took a bit of time to realize she was not interested in me at all and in fact was not even talking with me as she had a Bluetooth phone ear piece hidden under her hair.  Our “conversation” just happened to be at the same place at the same time with the fruit being the focal point and both of us not really paying attention to what was being said. 

It was funny and strange at the same time that we had ‘connected’ on one sense but really had not talked with each other at all.  As I was moving away from the produce table she must have realized what had happened and came running over to me apologizing to me for being on her phone and not realizing at the time that we seemed to be ‘communicating’ with each other.

I think it is another example of how technology has gotten away from us and ‘normal’ is talking into our machines without being aware of what is going on around us.  We have desensitized ourselves to occupy the same ‘space’ with someone else without interacting but thinking we did.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores