Spring forward . . . Not fall back . . . I’m falling apart.


This is the big weekend for Daylight Savings Time where those that observe this will set clocks forward one hour in the spring and set them back an hour in the fall.

We pushed forward last night losing an hour of sleep during a time I seem to need more.  It’s been busy these last few weeks and my stress level I’m sure is elevated too even though I try not to let on.

Friday evening I felt a big bump on the back of my neck which was quite painful but did not have the redness one would think of.  I thought it might an ingrown hair or possibly an ‘old fart’ pimple and went to sleep with some discomfort but no real thought about it. 

I woke up Saturday morning for my breakfast meeting and felt more swelling and tenderness on the back right side of my neck.  It was painful and when I returned home after a few hours I felt totally like crap and had chills and was wiped out.  I took a couple of Aleve and lie on the sofa and fell asleep for a few hours.  This is something that I never do during the middle of the day.  I had planned on working on the bathroom tile but did not feel up to the task.  I rested all day and went to bed early hoping I would feel better in the morning.

I awoke a little later than normal trying to rest all I could.  The back of my neck still hurt and had multiple bumps and redness as it had spread overnight.  The top of my head and sides by my temples also had redness and swelling as it was now hurting in multiple places.  I did not feel as bad as Saturday but things seemed to have gotten worse. 

I had set up the tile saw and waited for everyone to wake up so I could start on it but after the first couple pieces when I was trying to check the fit my wife noticed how much things had spread while I was sitting on the floor.  She made sure I headed off to the emergency room since it was Sunday.  She did not want me to wait fearing that if it was something viral like shingles I might be contagious and spread it around my office.  I put my tile things up and took a shower before heading to the hospital.  Once we arrived I made the comment to my wife I have been in Alaska for almost ten years now but this was the first time I had been in the hospital as a patient.  I have been in and out of Providence Hospital many times since coming to Anchorage as I spent a year and a half across the street building the UAA Library as my first project in this state.  Between births and my daughters’ illness these last few years I had been coming through the many different entrance doors in various wings of the hospital.

We walked into the emergency room and it was filled for a Sunday afternoon with many people sitting there.  You could tell that one family was going through a tough time as the group was pretty broken up being there.  I am not sure if someone was in an accident or having a medical problem but the mood was serious and it did not appear the outcome would be positive anytime soon.  There was a mother with a small girl who came in behind me but she went straight to the triage room before sitting down in the lobby area. 

I was called to the room shortly after her and my vitals were taken as well as the information from my insurance card.  Everyone who came in to talk with me once I was in the room (# 13 my lucky number) asked me my birth date so they could make sure they were talking to the right person.  It seemed annoying but one of the safeguards in place to minimize mistakes.  I had my wristband placed on my right wrist and as I looked at it noticed the name of my doctor was “Prover” which I thought odd but did not say anything at first.  Nurses came in and out and the first doctor, an Asian female looks at my head, asks questions and then says she will have another doctor look at me so they can discuss my treatment.  The second doctor, another female comes in and I half expect her to come over to look at my head and give me the “Oh God, what issss THAT?”  They both look again and feel a couple of places asking if this or that hurts. 

They decided to draw blood, give me some Benadryl, and wait on the blood work to figure out if they are going to give me steroids.  After a couple hours in the hospital I was given the Benadryl which made me loopy and something for pain.  I was given 60 milligrams of a steroid and a prescription for ten days with a lessening dose each day.  I was told I did not have “shingles” which was great but I probably had a type of Vasculitis.  I’m not exactly sure what that means but the stuff they gave me seems to be working as I do not itch right now, do not feel any pain, and can barely write this.  I’m getting ready to fall asleep so everything is kicking in like it’s supposed too.

When one of the nurses came in to once again check my vital signs I asked who was my doctor?  My wrist band stated Doctor Prover but I had not seen him yet.  I was informed that it meant Doctor Provider as in the hospital was providing me a doctor.  Everyone laughed at me and stated the drugs had kicked in.  I was sent home with a couple prescriptions and the list of dermatologists to make an appointment next week. 

Another day in paradise getting a first hand look at my emergency medical providers in action.  My mind is wandering now so more on this later tomorrow.

Iditarod update, Lance Mackey has taken the lead from Jeff King and has left Shaktoolik crossing Norton Bay toward Koyuk.  The winds are up, the weather cold just what many racers want to separate themselves from the pack.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores