Leaving on a Jet Plane

This has been a long two days for my family.

My youngest daughter and her son have been preparing to move to California and the day for them to leave was last night.  She sorted and packed and did some more to get their things into four items to check on the flight along with a car seat.  We headed to the airport at midnight and get them and their bags checked in for their 1:30 am flight to Seattle then to Sacramento.

I returned home around 1 am only to return to the airport for my own flight out to Kodiak for a day trip to two villages I have projects in.  That meant no real sleep as I hit the sack about 1:30 only to have the dog scramble off the bed at 2:15 am chasing the hamster around who somehow had gotten loose.

After jumping out of bed . . . ‘au natural’ and the mad dash through two bathrooms and the living room to retrieve “Hammy” and get him back in the cage I headed back to bed.  If there had been cameras in the house it must have been an awfully funny scene playing out.

It took awhile to get back to sleep so all told I think I slept for only about an hour total before going back out to the airport.  In the early morning rain the streets shined with the lights reflecting off the glassy looking surface.  I boarded the plane and was given a much needed cup of coffee while we waited to taxi out for takeoff.

I had texted my daughter when I arrived at the airport and she was about to board her second flight so we would be flying at the same time.  Climbing out into the darkness of this chilly Alaskan morning it was a strange feeling thinking about our flights . . . heading toward such different destinations . . . both with different agendas?  It was an odd feeling thinking about returning home to an empty house without the activity that has become so commonplace. 

I did return home tonight and it is strange to think they will not be coming home from work or the store.  So much has happened with my daughter over the last couple of years with her illness and marriage so I can understand the need for a change . . . she definitely needs one and a time to release the stress she has been under for so long.  That does not make it any easier for any of us to deal with the loss of not being around each other.

All I can say is God Speed honey and know we love you and are here for you.  Enjoy the time in the warmth so different from what you have known and continue to heal all aspects of your life.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores