Mixed Bag Friday

This has been a rather long week with travel, the work grind of a busy summer schedule, and the loss of letting family go away in search of her destiny.

I totally understand that need as I have gone through it myself but it does not make it any easier from a parent’s perspective in letting go to see the ‘spreading of the wings, flying away’ from home.

It is an empty feeling house now and will take some time getting used to the lack of activity.

This week also had the sad passing of two people I have admired for many years.  Tony Curtis died at the age of 85, a man who entertained us and showed us over coming ones own demons with an artistic flare can heal oneself in the long run.  We have missed your presence from the ‘silver screen’ and one of my favorites was the funny 1965 sleeper, “Boeing, Boeing.”  Jerry Lewis was also in the movie.

One of my favorite writers, Stephen J. Cannell died today in California.  He entertained us in the 80’s with so many shows on television, Baretta, The Rockford Files with James Garner (who shares my birthday), and who could forget The A-Team.  I did not watch 21 Jump Street but that gave us Johnny Depp and over the years so many more.

He was a great writer of television and he understood what people wanted to watch after a long day at work.  Escapism at its finest, Cannell’s closing shot of each program became as famous as the show’s themselves, Cannell triumphantly ripping a page out of his IBM Selectric typewriter and letting the page fall . . . floating to the ground; I can still hear the upbeat guitar riff playing in my mind.  

He was dyslexic which he overcame and had several shows on multiple television networks at the same time.

R.I.P. Stephen you will be missed.

Since we have had termination dust (snow) up on the hillside above Anchorage this weekend is the time to put away all of the deck furniture, take down the gazebo cover before the snow flies and batten down the hatches with securing everything for the long winter ahead.  It will not be long before we will break out the snow blowers and studded tires.

Survivor moved to Wednesday night and does not seem to be suffering in the ratings . . . Hawaii Five-0 has been upgraded with new a new hook and looks like it may also be pretty good.  I’m glad I have my DVR taping shows while I’m on the road.

That’s it for tonight and I am going to make more effort to writing as it has been too long between posts.

Have a great weekend!

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores