I've been a bit of a slacker lately not getting new tires for my car before winter set in so I purchased them yesterday and went to get them installed this morning.  In Alaska it's done a little differently than the Lower 48 where you just go and have them swapped over.  Many people use studded tires here so every fall there is a massive rush to the tire stores at the first sign of snowfall.  I waited so I found myself going to Costco at 6:45 am this morning the temperature was minus 5 degrees to be outside waiting for them to open around 8:30 am.  I was number 5 in line at that time but was prepared.  I had my Margaritaville chair, my thermos of Bailey's coffee, and warm clothing.  The conversations with those there turned out to be quite interesting at that time of the morning waiting for someone to show up. The line grew to over 50 people by the time the doors opened. 

I met several people, mainly the other 4 in front of me and once vehicles were queued one of them, Ramsay and I went across the street to Denny's and had breakfast and talked.  It was very interesting, both veterans, both work in similar fields, and both Southern heritage men. Ramsey was from north central Florida and I from Atlanta Georgia.  We said a blessing at the table before we ate drawing looks from the other customers and as we talked about so many subjects during our breakfast others nearby were drawn to listen to our ramblings seemingly with interest.

Conversations of growing up in the South in the 60's & 70's and the issues of the day, poverty, racism, and raising children, both from being one and how we have passed ideals on to our own over the years.  There was a little talk of our military time buts as most vets know there is not a lot to say other than thanks for the others service to our country.  It was both great and rewarding in the time of fellowship we spent while having our tires changed out.

Sometimes getting up early and doing something can have positive and rewarding results even though the sun would not rise for three or four hours.  It's those little things in life that change us and take on meaning from what we thought the morning would bring.

"I am among all men, most richly blessed" (from A Soldier's Prayer)

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores