Ode to Doug Coker by my friend Russ

Ode to Doug Coker by my friend Russ

As many of you know, on my journey from Alaska south I stopped for about ten days to visit with my friend Russ who lives in Campbell River British Columbia.  We have been best friends for almost fifteen years now and have shared many of our lives events over the years.  We met through a gaming community and one of the things he does was write obituaries for our game characters that are lost in battle.  Over the years he has personally written obits for several of my dogs, a friend’s sister passing and others. 

This latest one he has written for my brother in law Doug who I have known since we were toddlers and married my sister Judy.  He has been a best friend to us all and this sudden lost leaves me now trying to write my own words but for now here are some from my friend Russ.



Ode to Doug Coker –July 4, 2016

A Georgia man whom I knew not… best friend of my friend D,
The husband of D’s sister he… he died quite suddenly.
His name was Doug; by all accounts… most folk they “dug” this guy,
Full life had he; might say was blessed… most folk would not deny.

But Fate cares not how lives are lived… to this a blind eye turned,
No rhyme or reason in Fate’s choice… it cannot be discerned.
And so upon this weekend long… in friendship Doug’s encased,
Surrounded by his friends and kin… in joy and love embraced.

The day is done; the sun has set… with just his dog is he,
The night air savored one more time… and then no more is he.
A shock to friends and family… it comes as a surprise,
The hole he leaves alas is filled... by tears from many eyes.

But though his mortal soul has left… his memories have not,
He lives inside those memories… and will not be forgot.
And so I raise my glass to Doug… stood tall in life did he,
He proudly takes his place above… best friend of my friend D.

Thanks Russ again for the words!

Please keep our family in your prayers as we celebrate life of my friend, brother, husband, father, and so much more to many of us.  Doug will be missed.

I am reminded of a song many years ago that a friend played on a church camp retreat about his friend from college, basketball player “Pistol” Pete Maravich who also died suddenly in 1988.  The song title was “Gone on ahead, you’re not dead”.

In the song about his friend was a line, “gone on ahead you’re not dead, gone on ahead scouting for the rest of us until we meet again!”

We are all at a loss and in shock by this life changing event. 

Ice

Comments

Chatty Crone said…
I am so sorry about the loss of your BIL. I know he had heart surgery a few years ago. Prayers for you and your sister.

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores