Getting to Nitty Gritty . . .

Stand a Little Rain

“If we're ever gonna see a rainbow
We have to stand a little rain.”

That seems to be what my family is going through right now. We seem to be going through a period of thunderstorms, lightening and rain as we look forward to the rainbow and sunny times once again. With all that has happened over this year it has been both trying and an opportunity to remind oneself that we are not in control of our lives that things happen for a reason (sometimes we don’t totally understand at the time) and we just have to continue taking one step at a time moving forward in our life.

It’s been tough for everyone and the latest with my uncle Boe’s sudden passing and my aunt Doris still in rehab care for a broken hip and leg with full Alzheimer’s so the road ahead will be a long and winding one for everyone.  We are always thankful for our southern roots, a heritage which makes strong but pliable caring people.

The service last Friday was simple, great music, soft words, and beautiful clouds passing the large windows where the service was held.  The police motorcade to the cemetery wound and took us through familiar places where distant family and friends have lived over the years to the family plots where a beautiful service was done. The color guard with taps being played under a distant oak tree carried over the top of the hillside where my father is also buried.  The blue sky, soft breeze and warm sunshine seemed to lighten the mood of everyone who attended.

The family decided to go Applebee’s in honor of uncle Boe who had requested fried shrimp as his last meal.  Luckily I was able to go to this same restaurant Sunday night and provide him with the meal of his choice before his passing the next morning.  Friends and family gathered to rejoice in a life lived, telling some stories having fellowship before those who drove from out of town had to drive back to distant places. 

Music has always been a major part of my life and it is ironic that I saw about a month ago that one of my long-time favorite bands was playing at the north Georgia fair on Saturday night and was able to obtain tickets to go see them again with friends.  The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band is playing their 50 years together tour and their music rose from this mountain town uplifting everyone.  Their voices and individual play styles of the various instruments over their two plus hour set was great.
My mood lifted, their words ringing in my ears and in my mind of where we come from, what we have been through over the years and where we head in life going one day at a time (the only real moment we have). 

“I was standing by my window, on one warm and cloudy day
When I saw that hearse come rolling for to carry my uncle away
Will the circle be unbroken by and by, Lord, by and by there's a better home a-waiting
In the sky, lord, in the sky.” (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, 1972)

Ice

Comments

Unknown said…
My folks listened to the NGDB album you speak of incessantly. It was part of my soundtrack growing up. Had forgotten about it sort of. Love the Tennessee Stud on their w Doc Watson. Be well Dee. All Things Must Pass.

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores