Memorial Day Weekend 2017

I am asked almost every Memorial Day to re-post “A Soldier’s Prayer”.

Another Memorial Day weekend is once again here and the country stops for a time to honor our men and women whose sacrifices to keep our way of living balanced with the threats of a hostile world around us.  The media is so screwed up in reporting things so this photo really shows their priorities.
Memorial Day is not about the BBQ's or gatherings of friends; it is about the "Fallen" who gave the ultimate sacrifice, signed the check in blood for our freedoms we have today. Those still serving should also be remembered but this weekend and day is for remembrance of those who are no longer with us.

Memorial Day has its origins from Americas Civil War starting in 1868.

I was given this prayer by my friend Max Cleland so many years ago as I flew him around Georgia while he was campaigning for Secretary of State.  I have it on the wall of my office and read it each day.  I have a constant reminder of the importance of having pure motives . . . God focused and ultimately the importance of where I look for fulfillment in my life.

I wanted to give you a little perspective about this prayer and how it came to be.  This was during one of our darkest times in this country’s history when we lost focus of where this country was headed and we were into a Civil War and the turmoil going on in this country at the time.  Brother fought against brother, sometimes friend against friend.  It was a time that we somehow have lost focus during these strange political times.  There are still problems in this country and around the world but we continually strive to live in hopes of a better world.  Do your part and remember those from our past and those of our future whose sacrifice gives us the Freedoms we enjoy today.

July 2, 1863 during the battle of Gettysburg in the area of Devil’s Den this prayer was written by a dying confederate soldier.  There have been conflicting stories over the years whether it was found folded in his pocket or written in his blood on the floor next to his body.  Either way it gives great perspective into life and living.  My thoughts are that it was written in his blood as he made Peace on his life, an unfinished life.

Casualty figures for the second day of Gettysburg are difficult to assess because both armies reported by unit after the full battle, not by day.  One estimate is that the Confederates lost approximately 6,000 killed, missing, or wounded from Hood, McLaws' and Anderson's divisions, amounting to 30–40% casualties.  Union casualties in these actions probably exceeded 9,000. The three day battle was one of the bloodiest of the Civil War as the conflict continued until April 9, 1865 when the surrender occurred with the formal ceremony between Robert E. Lee and Ulysses S. Grant on April 12, 1865.

A Soldier’s Prayer

I asked God for strength that I might achieve
I was made weak that I might learn to obey
I asked for health that I might do great things
I was given infirmity that I might do better things
I asked for riches that I might be happy
I was given poverty that I might be wise
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life
I was given life that I might enjoy all things
I got nothing that I asked for
But everything I had hoped for
Almost despite myself my unspoken prayers were answered
I am among all men most richly blessed.

Each of the desires that were expressed are desires that I believe we can relate to today. Strength, Health, Riches, Power, All things so that we can enjoy life . . . What is not to be desired?

Many of us have some or even all of the things just mentioned to varying degrees.  But do we let the things we have in our life define who we are?  Do we let them define our happiness? Where do you find your inner peace?

Two lines have special meaning to me and I remind myself daily to live this way. . .
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life
I was given life that I might enjoy all things

Happiness does not enter the equation until the decision to be happy is made by the individual. Happiness is a state of mind being thankful for whatever we do have and the talents we have been blessed with.  Without that decision . . . to be happy independent of everything else . . . we will find ourselves to be much like a dog chasing its own tail.  The poor dog will never catch its tail and the result will just be dizzying frustration.

There are times in my life that I find myself chasing my tail.  I came north to Alaska to find an unseen peace I knew would be there.  God’s country at every turn and I had the opportunity to travel to many remote places off the road system experiencing the native culture and helping them to have a better, healthier life with my work.  I could see the changes firsthand and it filled me beyond my wildest dreams.  Truly blessed for the experience.

Most of us have never had to live in the worst of what the world has to offer.  Probably most have food to eat and daily opportunities to interact with others who are interested and care about us.  Sometimes quickly, our minds can run away and begin to be ungrateful and desirous of the pleasures that we presume others to have.  Living up to the Browns’ has never been for me, I like doing things my own way and sometimes taking the road less traveled.  It has brought me a peace I could not find before and has brought me to find many new friends and expanded my consciousness of my fellow man.

We are all truly blessed and we need reminders to stay focused on what God has to offer us.  Have a wonderful weekend everyone and remember the fallen.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores