Where do memories come from?

One can’t predict when or where they will come from; those memories that stay with us a lifetime, and never fail to bring us warm fuzzy feelings.  When I left Alaska I had just finished loading the car; made one lap back through the house to make sure I had not forgotten anything and then into the kitchen.  I thought to myself; “I guess filling my thermos is all I have left to do, and then I’m off.”

Down the drain went the hot water that had been warming my thermos.  I’m sure I had a very nostalgic look on my face as this would be the last morning living in Alaska.  When I filled my thermos with water earlier, I thought of how long I had been doing this to keep my coffee warmer longer when I travel.  In fact, anytime I fill my thermos I think about that.

The air outside was chilled the sky blue and my breath sprang from my nostrils as I prepared to leave.  As I started my month’s long drive back to Atlanta it was anti-climactic.  A quick stop by Merrill Field for a photo of the “Welcome to Anchorage” sign with Placido Flamingo and headed east towards Tok.
Years ago I had been visiting my mama, and the morning I was leaving my mama watched as I began to fill my thermos.  Being a big 'coffee drinker' in the family, I always placed myself in charge of thermos duties.  Mama then casually offered up a tidbit of advice. 

“If you would fill your thermos with hot water and let it sit a while, your coffee would stay hot longer on your drive.”

The look on my face must have been priceless as her simple suggestion sunk in.  Well of course it would!  It only makes all the sense in the world!  Who wouldn’t know that?  I remember I dumped the small amount of coffee already in the thermos, and ran the tap until it was at its hottest; then refilled with piping hot water.  After pouring myself a fresh cup of coffee, I sat down to enjoy a few more minutes with mama, and to discuss this unique new idea.
Words of wisdom from a loving mother made an impact that will never be forgotten.  When spoken that morning, I didn’t realize I would always hear those words ringing in my ears, or that they would bring a smile to my face time and time again.  And Mama would never have dreamed her words would be a treasured and everlasting memory in the heart of her son.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores