Rainy Day Musing

Rainy Day Musing

It started raining yesterday afternoon just before nightfall set in.  Soft drizzly rain began falling at first, as I was putting out the corn for the eight deer that arrive each day around sunset.  I finished putting the corn kernels out in the four or five spots where they gather to eat, play, and listen for anything that might harm them.  I go back into the house for birdseed for the four feeders scattered around the yard as the rain droplets fall in bigger size.  My hair is now wet and the sweatshirt is damp before I can finish my chores for the day.

The water droplets fall like they simply cannot think of anything better to do. There is a laziness about them, as if they can barely be bothered to conform to the will of gravity.  When I hold my bare arms out, the water droplets splatter on my outstretched arms and fingers, glistening them moist instead of being dry like while reading a book in front of the fireplace.  They grow larger but soft, not like the mean driving rain which came later in the night.  I tilt my fingers upwards and watch the remnants of the drops run downwards like tiny rivers.  If this is the way rainy days are back in Georgia I’m getting used to it again; even the sound on the metal roof is comforting.  With a half-smile I retreat into the house leaving a window open, this way I can hear the steady drumming all the louder while I go back to turn age worn pages of a long forgotten book.

This morning the rain fell harder reminding me I need to get on the roof to clear the leaves from the gutters, one of which has overflowed with the rain crashing down and filling up the gutters.  The wind spinners in the yard turn at different speeds as the breeze is not quite yet to be called wind.  The red color on one blade and the yellow color of the other mix in the light breeze before the “wind” picks up to meld the colors into an orange hue when the sun shines.  The many birds of several species have gathered under the deck railings quickly flying up to the bird feeders and suet feeders along the deck and back down to the shelter under the railings.  There must be fifty birds, some puffed up to stay warm in the cool rain this morning.

I can see several deer up on the hillside chasing each other as I think the bucks are looking for a mate.  They have been active these last few days moving about the property and down to the creek.

Rainy days are not always about feeling blue or working to accomplish something, sometimes it’s just nice to kick back, put your feet up and enjoy the liquid sunshine God has provided for us.  The mountains, the wildlife, the sounds of the wind and the rain are sort of therapy for me right now, much needed in this busy world we live in.  Enjoy the weekend everyone. 

Ice 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores