Curves in Life can bring pause, numbness, and questions

Curves in Life can bring pause, numbness, and questions

Last week I received a phone call from one of my close friends in Alaska telling me of the death of another close friend, former co-worker, and camping/fishing buddy.  His name, Stephen Tauriainen, was 54 years young.  A former Marine, Semper Fi, he loved going to the shooting range with friends and family.  There were many camping/fishing trips that Steve, Scott Mesick and I enjoyed during the summer months along with movie nights for the latest action movie.  Steve will be missed by many.


Steve

This is another sharp curve in life for so many of us who knew Steve.  Sadly, it was several days before anyone knew about his death, as Steve lived alone.  Encountering this curve, I found myself on my laptop trying to make sense of it all.  So far, nothing has really come to me other than a good man is gone.  I have used a saying for a long time now, when people die, they aren’t really dead; they have “gone on ahead, scouting for the rest of us left behind.”  With Steve that probably is more right than not as he loved to explore and do things.  

The old adage if you get two people or more together and they start telling stories there is no hope for the truth.  There is probably only laughter, fellowship, and a warm feeling among everyone listening to the good stories.  I find as the memories come back I can almost smell the flowers or the sun warming up the fir trees and I can hear the rushing of the water as it flows down the river or stream we fished or floated.  I see the hole where that elusive trout is hiding behind that rock in the stream and I wonder if I could paint, should I paint him leaping after Steve’s mayfly or hiding under the rock waiting for the next meal to float by.  Those were the camping/ fishing trips I will cherish with Steve and Scott.


Camping - Steve, drink in hand around campfire telling stories

There will be a Celebration of Life for Steve on Friday, May 10, 2019 at 2:00 p.m. at Anchorage First Assembly Church of God.  
The address is: 1540 “C” Street in Anchorage, Alaska.  

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Wounded Warrior Project or any Veterans Service Dogs charities in Stephen Taurianien’s name.  

I wish I could be there to send you off but I know in my heart that the rifle volley and the playing of taps, will afford you the honor of a grateful nation, my brother.  Rest well, we miss you buddy!

D. Whittington

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores