Fun with Tourists . . . Alaskan Style

I was downtown earlier this week looking at a job to bid next week and I ran into a guy I had worked on another project a couple of years ago. He was working on the new Museum addition and it reminded me of the ‘small town’ feel Anchorage still has. You can go almost anywhere and it is not uncommon to see someone you know. Still nice to run into people you haven’t seen in a while.

When I left the pre-bid walkthrough I had to walk back to my rig which was in an area that the summer season is filled with tourists. They come here on the cruise ships or fly in to start their own unique adventure going to places unknown to me. The streets were filled with a multitude of people scurrying about looking into the different shops for that perfect Alaskan gift.

People are funny to watch as I made my way down the street looking at several groups taking pictures of the painted sides of buildings or the many flowers placed all over town. Some wanted their picture taken next to some of the Iditarod monuments or paintings so it is fun watching the reactions to seeing so many new and different things.

As I walked by one group who I had seen laughing and snapping pictures like crazy they asked me if I would take their picture . . . “Sure” I told them and they started posing and making sure everything was just right for that perfect ‘picture’ . . . then it hit me . . . I turned and started to run away from them for several steps hearing them ‘freak out’ & yelling at me . . . I quickly turned around and snapped their perfect Alaska picture.

It was great . . . they weren’t sure what to think and the picture caught them in all kinds of surprised looks or arms flailing about as they started to run after me. I told them that everyone gets the same looking pictures and I took one of them that they would remember for a long time . . .

Everyone laughed and we then took several ‘serious’ tourist pictures and talked briefly about some of the things that they could do or see while in town. I’m sure Apollo will be seeing some new people at Phyllis' Cafe and Salmon Bake. They will also drink a few at the Glacier Brew House.

Welcome tourists . . . once you are in town it is not long until the fishing really turns on . . . and I can’t wait.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores