"So I re decorated my husband"

There is a Citibank commercial running in Alaska right now that drives me nuts. Maybe I’m just a little sensitive to it because my wife watches every HGTV program about remodeling and is always looking for that next project for me to tear out, build, or fix.

The spot: a woman stands in her living room while her husband relaxes on the couch. In voiceover, she explains how something doesn't feel right. A home improvement montage follows: purchasing nick knacks, a new carpet, painting the walls, all paid for with her ‘Citibank’ card.

Her husband can be glimpsed on the couch throughout, relaxing or working on his computer while she redecorates. Finally, she realizes: "It wasn't the room, so I used the cash I got back to redecorate my husband." We watch as she purchases new clothes and he models his new khaki pants, shirt and sweater combo. Finally satisfied, she sits on the couch with her husband after he pauses to relocate one of the new nick knacks on the coffee table.



There are several things that go through my mind when I see this on television. The mind is a funny thing as you can run all these possibilities of how to respond or what he should do. Maybe the guy in the commercial should say: “Holy cow, you controlling harpy! First, you drag us into credit card debt with all of this redecorating while I slave playing my computer game and try to keep up with your ever growing ‘honey do’ list. Now I can’t sit on the couch in my sweats and T-shirt? I have to wear a cardigan and khaki slacks?”

Why does he need to be dressed like he's going to a LL Bean catalog shoot? The ad tries to subvert the controlling aspect of her behavior by showing him relocating a box on the table, as if to say, "See . . . He wants to take part in the redecorating, too." I choose to think he was going to use that box to bash her upside the head, but he reconsidered at the last moment. It's probably still open to interpretation.

The Question Citibank and those with inquiring minds want to ask?

Would you redecorate the husband or let him alone?

Is this why some men see other people and some women stay with the same man trying constantly to change them? What do you think?

I think it is another silly commercial much like the pharmaceutical companies put out trying to get us to buy medicine for that ‘invented’ ailment that they have found the cure for. Those “invented” ailments drive me crazy.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores