Fishin’ . . . Wishing for summer

These last few weeks have gone by quickly in some ways as it has been busy with work and my daughter’s hospital stay (she’s out now and doing better) but in those few quiet moments my mind wanders to times past and the return of summer.


Last weekend I was able to play a DVD concert of friends of mine from the South called Cullowhee. Most of the guys attended Western Carolina University in the North Carolina town called Cullowhee so their music is mountain rock with a mixture of all kinds of various sounds. Listening to the songs brought me thinking about one of my favorite summer activities, Fishin’ and I started browsing my photo’s to bring back the memories of past fishin’ trips all over Alaska. I thought I would share some of them with you and the lyrics of a song aptly named Fishin’ by Terry Edwards of Cullowhee. If I can figure out how to post the song so you can hear it I will shortly.


I hope you enjoy part one of Fishin’


Fishin’ by Terry Edwards (Cullowhee)

When I was a boy growing up

Every Sunday before first light

Dad was up and gone a fishin’

He’d be home by night.

Later on Mom would troop us off to church

And I would wonder where dad was gone

Mama said he’s just gone fishin’

Some day you’ll get to go along.

If grandpa only knew what he had begun

Yeah my Daddy is a mountain man, like father, like son.



Summit Lake


Then my big day came but I got home with an empty creel

Daddy said don’t worry about it son, I know just how you feel

But it’s really not how big they are .

. . or how many fish you catch

It’s how much you feel the mountains, and how many dreams you hatch

And every Sunday when you come home, you’ll want to go back for more

‘Cause the fish are only a small part of what you go to the river for

Yeah, if grandpa only knew what he had begun

Yeah my Daddy is a mountain man, like father, like son.



Kenai Rainbow’s # 1


Yeah daddy is a mountain man he’d rather fish than go to church

‘cause in the quiet of a Sunday morning

He figured God stopped by the river first.

As I grew I wondered if the congregation only knew,

you get a lot more religion fishin’ than you do sitting in a pew.

So when my boys get old enough to learn how to bait a hook and how to wade

I think I’ll take ‘em fishin’ . . . show ‘em where God stays

‘Cause they’ll never feel more at peace

They’ll never feel more whole

Than when the white water rushes around your legs

And the mountains fill the soul



Kenai Rainbow’s # 3


If their granddaddy only knew what he had begun

My boys are mountain men, like father, like son.

Yeah, my boys are mountain men, like father, like son.





D.’s King Salmon 07 (one of many that summer)


I hope you enjoyed Part One and a shared feeling of wishin’ for summer.


Ice

* Sorry the pictures did not downsize like I thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores