YouTube and reliving my youth

I was looking for a flying segment from Alaska this afternoon that I thought might have made it to video on YouTube when in my search I came across an old video from my youth. It is from my hang gliding days when I was a free spirit traveling the world flying hang gliders, tow kites, and hot air balloons.


Skydog has put up a video from the Chicago Fest Tow Gliding Invitational that was held each summer in front of the Holiday Inn on the Lakefront. It was a lot of fun as I was one of the “Moyes Boys” flying Moyes Gliders. They were made in Sydney Australia by Bill Moyes and his son Steve. I was flying for a team out of Georgia that owned Hang Glider Heaven.


It’s funny seeing this after so many years ago as it reminds us what we have done in our lives and also what choices made or paths crossed over the years.


This is footage from the four years that it was held from 1974 to 1977 and more or less was a competition between two Australians who started the popular tow gliding and hang gliding movement, Bill Moyes and Bill Bennett. Bennett had left Australia for California where he designed and built gliders and there was always fun competition between the “Moyes Boys” and Bennett’s teams.


My shots on this video from 1974 to 1977 I flew different gliders the first 3 years and you can see the technology improving during that time period.


1974 – 1:48 – flying a red/white (tree leaves in shot)

1975 – flying a White middle with gold/blue tips.

2:13 - flying a White middle with gold/blue tips doing 360 degree turns.

3:27 - into video – Landing about 20 feet from target

1976 & 1977 - flying rainbow glider

4:20 – my take off from the beach

6:00 – release towline from boat

6:37 - doing 360 degree turns

7:44 – turn and landing

8:08 – Landing

9:04 – flying doing 360’s


This was a blast from the past, thanks Skydog for putting this up as I thought these videos were long gone.


Enjoy!



Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores