Lonesome Dove Life Lessons

One of my favorite books is Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. It’s funny how a novel and later a movie have lasting impact on your life. Good writing is supposed to be that way as the book won a Pulitzer Prize in 1986 for fiction.


Oddly the Lonesome Dove story came about in the 1960’s as a movie script for John Wayne, James Stewart, and Henry Fonda but was never developed after Wayne turned down the part. For me I’m glad that it was later developed with Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones as the lead characters. Both were perfect in how they portrayed the lifestyle and complexities of the American West.

When things get too busy or stressful for me I tend to make time to sit and watch it again to glean life lessons which I find useful. I seem to watch it several times a year since it first aired in 1989.


“If you want only one thing too much, it’s likely to turn out a disappointment. The only healthy way to live, as I see it, is to learn to like all the little everyday things.” – Augustus (Gus) McCrae



Lonesome Dove Life Lesson # 1


Life is simple . . . it’s the living that’s tricky and many times hard for us. Too many people leave their life to chance and hope for the best. We each need to build our own meaningful place to be. You have the capacity to make your life story far more interesting. Only you can add the meaning. Don’t talk about life. Do life.


Have you ever realized that 'if' is the middle word in Life?


We never know what happens in our lives or what may befall us on our adventure down unknown roads and pathways. Embrace it and look forward to those changes to give us strength to carry on.


Ice


* Lonesome Dove Logo = Lonesome Dove Western Bistro

Comments

Chatty Crone said…
I can hear the words life is simple, I can see the words life is simple, and I know what the words truly mean. And it's something I totally believe in and want personally.

Problem for me is - how in the heck do you get there?

It is in the mind or is is real?
Icewind said…
If you find that road map, please send it my way!

Ice

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores