Whole Lot of Shaking Going On


Or Getting the Bathroom to a point it can start being rebuilt.

Today (Thursday 19th) started out frigid as we were again below zero this morning now several days in a row.  For some reason I was aware that this day had many small tremors and a couple of medium ones that gave loud “boom” noises.  At first I thought it might be the F-22’s coming back into Elmendorf for landing and dropping their speed below mach 1 creating a sonic boom as they decelerated.  But after several times I checked out the Alaska Earthquake Information Center for updates on today’s activity.

 
There was quite a bit of small tremors over 30 so far today and counting with activity in Cook Inlet between Homer and Anchorage and in the interior between Fairbanks and Anchorage.  It appears several fault lines are shifting plates far below the surface bringing with it the loud noise and jolt from the shifting surfaces.

I am still amazed that there is quite a bit of activity on any given day and at times it seems normal unless one registers over 5.5 or lasts for more than a second or two making you aware that it is happening. 

Now for a few more bathroom pictures and some narrative to catch things up a bit more.

I have worked on the rest of the demolition between work and other family priorities with Taylor’s illness or times when I could make noise or debris with Charlie’s social schedule.  Sometimes it is hard working on things when you want as other people may have friends over or you are away from the house and cannot get any work done.

Some of the major demolition was tearing out the wall between the bedroom and the shower so I can install a new pocket door.  I have not liked the normal door as when it is open it gets in the way.  I have liked pocket doors as it hides inside the wall and easy to use.  The only problem is you have to tear out the existing door frame, cut out the door header and reframe for the pocket door.  




Tearing out door frame and wall for pocket door




Wall torn out between bedroom and shower

I also had to relocate the existing shower valve as it was in that wall.  I cut out the existing valve and moved the water lines across the room and will bring up the new valve in the small wall that sides the left of the toilet.




Pocket door frame installed and temp wiring for outlet




Framing for drop ceiling in place, 2 can lights installed, shower head roughed-in, and outlet for steam unit above ceiling in soffit space.

After the pocket door frame was installed I was able to frame the drop down for the ceiling and install the new can lights.  I also ran the water lines for the shower heads, one rainfall overhead and another will be on the sidewall on a slide bar.  I also want to install a small steam unit in the overhead space so I can have the steam for my aching shoulders.  I have everything roughed in for it and it can be added later but now is the time to install piping and electrical while all is opened up and accessible. 




The pocket door on left, wall niche, shower valve placement on right wall, and start of Durock concrete board installed at can lights.  You can see there is progress being made but it takes time and I want to get everything right like I want it and not miss anything. 

Ice

Comments

jeanmac said…
That will be a beautiful room once your project is complete.
Icewind said…
I hope so but it is slow going right now with many things in RL slowing me down.

Hope all is well Jean!

Ice

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores