Sub Club at Subway – No More

I'm a little bit aggravated. I take that back, I'm very upset. Would you like to know why? Of course you would. I'm mad because Subway restaurants have stopped their classic "Sub Club" promotion.


One of the nice things that I have enjoyed these years in Alaska is I usually have an opportunity to eat lunch several days a week in sandwitch shops like Subway and Quiznos. My company also does the plumbing and mechanical work in all of the Subway’s so I usually am not too far from one during my normal course of my business activities.


For many years now I seemed to have at least two days a week of stopping by a Subway for a quick meal. For me the BMT has been a favorite and getting the stamps with each sandwitch I could fill up a card in about two weeks for a ‘free’ sub.


Anyone who’s ever eaten at a Subway restaurant knows what I'm talking about. Every time you bought a sub sandwich you could get stamps. Collect enough of these stamps, lick them, stick them to your Sub Club Card and you could trade them in for a free sub of your choice. That was a really unique promotion that, while perhaps a bit antiquated, did a great job of providing customers with an incentive to keep coming back to Subway.



Sadly, that promotion is no more. They stopped giving out the stamps probably over a year ago but digging through my wallet today I found two of my Sub Club cards filled and ready to use. It brought back fond memories of the many ‘free’ subs I had gotten from that program. I always kept a card on me in case I did not have cash on me so I could always eat lunch.


Today upon finding my cards I remembered a few months back, I was in a local Subway restaurant and saw a very small sign on the door stating that they would no longer be giving out Sub Club stamps. Initially, I thought that perhaps just my local franchise had chosen to stop fooling with the tiny stamps. However, after a little research I quickly discovered that this was a nationwide change. Needless to say, I was very confused as to why the restaurant would suddenly abandon such a lengthy promotional campaign. But with a little more research and some informative conversations with some of the Subway owner’s here while doing work for them I soon discovered the true reason behind the change.



The key reason for Subway's shelving of the Sub Club was fraud.


Apparently, some dastardly individuals had taken it upon themselves to digitally copy their Sub Club stamps, and essentially help themselves to a lifetime supply of free Subways. I don't know that I've ever been as shocked or disgusted by the human race. Who are these sick, twisted individuals that are willing to stoop to such lows in order to get a free sub sandwich?



I'm still shocked that anyone would be willing to go to such extreme lengths in order to steal from a restaurant that had for so long developed a trusting rapport with their loyal customers. It wasn't enough that Subway was willing to give you one free sandwich if you purchased 12 sandwiches and saved the stamps. No, some sick individuals wanted free subs all the time. Once again greed has forced humans to betray their better nature and fully embrace the dark side of modern technology and human nature. As a race, humanity is better than this. We should not be photocopying our Sub Club cards. We should not be willing to use our computer technology to enable us to steal from those who trust us. We should all be proud, card carrying and stamp collecting members of the Sub Club. Shame on any of you who think otherwise. Shame I say. Shame.


With a rising tide of counterfeiters selling fake cards and stamps online, the Subway restaurant chain is eliminating its popular Sub Club promotion after 20 years.



Quiznos was still using a punch card? The ones I frequent replaced the good-for-a-year card with one that must be filled up within a given month but not even a 30 day period from the time you receive the card that only rewards mega hogs who eat there several times a week. That one has also gone by the wayside so I guess its Goodbye Quizzy too!


Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores