Year End Ramblings - December 31, 2012


Like most people at this time of year it seems like everyone takes a few minutes to think about and review the past year.  I do that now and again but try not to write those “year end reviews” that some people enjoy sending out each year which embellishes all the great things that have happened to them or their family members.

Hopefully this will not be that type of review though there may be some exaggeration of a few things since I tend not to really want to go to those things which may have been negative for me this year.

As 2012 started in January there was much work going on with me traveling out to many remote Alaskan villages where the company I worked built clinics, water & sewer plants as well as other needed infrastructure so needed in the bush.  Many Natives still do not have indoor plumbing or clean water and I was fortunate to help provide that in several villages.

The time of my separation and divorce brought me to a period for the first time in my life to live by myself and all that it entails.  Having no one around was very different for me so making those adjustments took some time to get used to it but also gave me time to sort out and dig deep into my past relationships and what things I needed to change or improve to have a chance to get it right.  The time was well spent and I think I am on a healthy track to move forward in my life and to those around me.

This past year with the improvements in technology and social media it has given many of us the opportunity to re-connect with old friends, classmates, or co-workers who we might have fallen out of contact with over the years.  I am fortunate to have many friends all over the world and being able to say hello or chat from time to time is such an amazing and wonderful thing.  It also gives the opportunity to stay in touch with family members as we are scattered all over the country so the miles separating us seems somewhat smaller now.

I have continued my tradition of Saturday breakfast here in Anchorage which has been ongoing now for over 10 years where friends, co-workers, or others drop by to drink coffee, tell stories, and read the paper.  The group has changed over the years but the same laughter is heard each week and the spirit of friendship and fellowship is something that those who drop by seem to look forward to each week if you are in town.  

I was fortunate to be able to take two trips “Outside” (out of Alaska) this year, the first with my best friend Scott where we went to Mexico for some fun in the sun, golf, snorkeling, driving ATV’s in the jungle & caves, along with zip lining across the terrain and also through several waterfalls and pools.  It was a much needed relaxing vacation with plenty of great food and drinks meeting new people along the way.

My other trip was to head back to the south to hit a convention reunion of old friends from the 70’s & 80’s who I used to hang out at clubs all over the southeast.  The band Cullowhee played in the north Georgia Mountains so I was able to see them play one night after missing a flight from Anchorage.  I was traveling with a friend as we both wanted to visit family in the area so it turned out to be an incredible week, seeing Old Friend, meeting new ones, and experiencing some truly neat places as we made our 1800 mile trek across three states to visit everyone.  Thanks for an incredible week and all that we saw and shared together, it was the highlight of my year.

Upon returning to Alaska from that trip I have been out of work to close the year and topped off my year with a heart attack in early December.  That has given me some new and probably needed perspectives in my life and how I choose to live it.  I was humbled and blessed with all the well wishes whether it was visits, texts, emails, and/or phone calls.  I was not ready for the love and support I received so I want to thank everyone for those efforts as it was much appreciated.  I am usually the one who is there for everyone else giving support or positive attitudes and it was very different for me to “need” someone else to be there for me during that time. 

Christmas time these last few years are so strange with all of the family scattered around the country.  No more are the decorations all over the house or cooking for the gang of people who would come over to celebrate the holidays.  Those times and the adjustments to them are ongoing and in a state of flux again this year.  I had a great Christmas Eve but the rest of the holidays leave much to be desired.

I we all wind down this year with no world ending events that the Mayan’s predicted it is with great anticipation of the coming New Year 2013.  I tend to like that number as 13 has always been lucky for me.  I have had several phone interviews with ConocoPhillips for a job as a Project Manager up on the North Slope oil fields so I am staying positive that it will be finalized after the first of the year and I am also going to San Antonio Texas to visit my youngest daughter and grandson for a week on January 10 so I am excited to see them again.

I hope everyone has positive things happening this year and through all the turmoil’s this country is in we stay focused on the bigger picture, of life, family, and friends treating everyone as we wish to be treated.



I will close this with some words that I have tried to live by for many years now, A Soldier’s Prayer.


A Soldier’s Prayer

I asked God for strength, that I might achieve,
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.

I asked God for health, that I might do greater things,
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.

I asked for riches, that I might be happy,
I was given poverty, that I might be wise.

I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men,
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.

I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life,
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.


I got nothing that I asked for
- but everything I had hoped for.

Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am among men, most richly blessed.

Found written in blood on the floor of a cabin on the body of a Confederate soldier - 1865

 Have a great New Year everyone, God Bless.

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores