One Hundred Twenty Five Hours that changed my Life - Part Three - The Hospital ER & OR


One Hundred Twenty Five Hours that changed my Life - Part Three - The Hospital ER & OR

I warmed my rig up and started for the hospital.  The winter time here in Alaska gives us a little different ambiance than that found in the Lower 48.  We are in our cold dark period and on this day it was minus 10 degrees outside and at seven o’clock in the morning it would be over three more hours before the sun would rise over the mountains to the east of Anchorage.  We are approaching the winter Solstice where we only get about five and a half hours of daylight.  The sun is up around 10:30 in the morning and sets just before 4 in the afternoon.  The rest of the time we are in darkness making for long cold nights here during the winter.

On this morning traffic from my house to the hospital was extremely light with only a few cars making there way along my route.  I had seen a moose eating beside the road as I approached the Hospital by the University of Alaska Anchorage campus.  There are many in the area who spend their winter months along the bike paths and sidewalks where the heavy snow is compacted making it easier for them to forage for their food.

I pulled into the emergency parking lot and there were a few spaces open close to the walk up to the emergency room entrance.  It felt cold as I made my way from the car to the door and there was no one milling around like other times I have been to the hospital when my youngest daughter was ill.  It would sometimes amaze me that so many people would be at the hospital on any given night both around the normal hospital grounds and in the area of the emergency room.  It is normally a busy place being the main hospital for Anchorage.  There are several ones here, one a Native Hospital just down the street and another smaller hospital a couple miles away.

Monday, 12-03-12  7:10 am        Arrived Providence Hospital Emergency Room.

I slowly made my way to the check in desk for the emergency room and there was one person being helped who was checked in before me.  The admittance clerk quickly finished with him and sent him to triage to be looked at and turned her attention to me.  She asked for my driver’s license and asked me what I was coming to the emergency room for.  I told her I was having chest pain and things quickly changed into a hyper active mode from the staff.

7:11 am        Vitals taken, Heart Rate 114, Blood Pressure 188/127

The admitting clerk quickly took my vital signs, put me in a wheelchair and wheeled me into the triage room # 1.

7:12 am        I was told to stand up, two nurses helped me strip off all my clothes while getting a gown on me and inserting two IV lines into me, one in each arm.  A nurse above my head was placing a nasal cannula in my nose giving me oxygen while another nurse quickly placed electrodes on me and an EKG was run for a few seconds where Dr. Watkins intently was looking at the strip.  He looked up at me very matter of fact posture and said I was having major heart attack and proceeded to walk out of the room.  I had several things run through my mind at that point almost simultaneously which was, the doctor just told me one of the most horrible things I had ever heard and walked out on me.  The second was “Oh shit” this is real and no one was there with me so if I dropped dead who would know.  The mind goes through so many things in that instant and I am sure my emotional level went through the roof as I digested the fact that I was having a major heart attack.

Dr, Watkins was only out of my room long enough to tell someone just outside the triage room to call the Operating Room and alert them we would be there in a couple minutes to be ready.  He then came back over to me and compassionately told me that the heart attack was the ‘real deal’, that I had at least one 100% blockage with probably more and that I was very lucky with no symptoms that I did not just drop over going into cardiac arrest as many people do.  He told me the widow maker scenario and why I should have called an ambulance to bring me to the hospital and not drive myself.  I was now starting to think I may have made a completely foolish move thinking I was ‘ok’ and it was not a big deal.

He and the nurses quickly had me hooked up to all sorts of things and ready to be rolled down the hallway to the OR where who knows what was about to happen.  I can honestly say I was scared at this point and started to realize this was not a good situation for me to be in right now, alone and not sure what I was about to go through behind those bid closed doors in the room with many bright lights.

7:15 am        Asked if I could make a phone call to alert someone where I was when everyone in the room, (5 people) shouted “NO” in unison. Dr. Watkins came back over to tell me what was happening that it was serious and the hospital needed permission for me to go to OR for the procedure.  I told him yes and they started rolling me out of the room down the hallway to the operating room.    

7:20 am       As we left the room one of the nurses told me it was probably too late to have any effect but told me to open my mouth as she gives me a Nitroglycerin tablet under my tongue.  She then says if I give her 2 phone numbers she will make the call to alert someone that I am in the hospital.  I give her Scott and a friends numbers to call as I am rolling down the corridor.  It seemed like what you see in the movies lying there looking up at the ceiling tiles with the light quickly flashing by above me in a rhythmic fashion.

There was a controlled chaotic rush to get me into the operating room as everyone made their way into the room and turned me over to the staff in there.  I was wheeled over to the table and moved quickly onto the new bed as new nurses started working on me.

7:21 am        Now I am in the OR being prepped for the procedure.  I somehow had my phone in my hand which I kept but was worried about my glasses so I handed them to the nurse to put with my things but kept my cell phone in my hand under blanket.  I could see this large screen television above me on the left side and it was there for the doctors to see what they were doing during the procedure.  One of the nurses was shaving me, yep down there as they were going to be during the procedure in my groin.  (As a footnote here, I had heard about and debated being shaved in this area but I had never considered it up unto this point in my life.)  The nurse worked one side and then the other as the doctors were getting their items ready below my feet at the end of the bed I was laying on.  Dr. Watkins was talking with me when one of the nurses again took my blood pressure and asked the doctor if she could give me some morphine to calm me down and reduce my anxiety.

7:30 am to 9:00 am         Procedure – Angioplasty and stents installed

This is where my story may get a little fuzzy or I may embellish a little more than I should as once the morphine kicked in I could not or did not care what was going on around me.  They gave me enough to knock the edge and apprehension away from my pain threshold but not enough for me to pass out.  It was actually quite nice as that feeling of being scared was completely gone now and I was an observer in what was happening to me.  I can say wholeheartedly that after having a narcotic it has a tendency to change your view on drugs.  I felt great at that point with no pain, apprehension of anything going on around me and I was talking with the doctors. 

Dr. Watkins was talking me about the procedure of what he was doing, what was happening in the OR and what I should expect shortly.  It all sounded pretty surreal but was also intriguing at the same time.  I was lying there with this giant screen above me and he was describing that he was going to insert a wire into my femoral artery and go up through it into my heart.  Now it sounded like the movie from long ago, “Inner Space” with Dennis Quaid.  I am not sure if I really felt anything going up inside me but I want to think I remembered it and could feel something or a pressure going across my chest.  They entered my right groin in two places and worked his magic inside me.

They told me to look at the screen as they were about to inject the dye so they could clearly see my blockage and what needed to be done.  They would shoot the dye and decide what procedures to perform on me.  I was told that I was about to feel a warm flush rush through my entire body as they injected the dye into my system.  I was told it would feel like I needed to pee but it was just the warm fluid going within my body and that I would not be urinating when I felt like it was.  I think I started to laugh as the heat started making its way through me and I was overcome with the warmth and crazy sensation I was feeling at that moment.  It was totally different from anything I had ever felt before as the warm/hot sensation came from the inside to the outside all through my body.

I could see the  screen light up as the dye made its way around my circulatory system and they were telling me that I was 100% blocked on one and about 80% on another.  They were going to do a angioplasty and heart stent procedure on me to open the vessels back up.  The balloon catheter in the angioplasty procedure would open when it was blown up and would squeeze the fatty deposits opening up the blood vessel improving flow.  The balloon is then deflated and withdrawn which is only part of the procedure to be done.  A stent is then inserted to keep the blood vessel open by a mechanical means.  The stent is a small braided wire which flexes itself open once installed and keeps things open and blood flowing properly.

Feeling no pain and curious about the procedure I talked a bit to the doctor and he gave me additional insight on why it was stupid for me to drive myself to the hospital and warned me if I ever had something going on and needed to go to the hospital I needed to call an ambulance to bring me that even being driven in by a friend or family member is not correct because if something happened the paramedics what the equipment, training, and meds to start work right then and not have to wait until you finally arrived at the hospital. 

He joked and asked me if I had concerns about what I could or could not do in the coming weeks as I recuperated.  I told him I had three questions and would probably think of several more during my time at the hospital especially when the meds wore off.  The first question was if I could still drink coffee since it was what I drank most of the day along with glasses of water.  I was told that it would not hurt me but I would need to swap out my sugar for honey and use a little less creamer if possible.  # 1 was ok so I was happy with his response.  The second question was could I still drink wine in the evening as I usually had a glass or two occasionally if someone was over or on vacation.  He again told me it would not hurt me and that about 8 ounces was actually good for people.  # 2 was ok and I again was happy with what he said.  The third question I had for him was how long it would be before I could have sex again and if I would need to watch out for anything.  He laughed and told me that I should notice a ‘big’ difference since my body would be getting its full blood supply going to every part of my body and I might for some reason think I had become years younger with the increased circulation.  # 3 was also a winner so I think I can still have a pretty good outlook on things and with the changes in diet and exercise I will be better than ever.

Things seemed to be going pretty well as I was watching them open the blockage and insert the stents but things seemed to get a little vague at this point and the next real thing I remember was being in the recovery room around 9:00 am.  What I did not know until a week or so later when I read the OR report of the events that morning was that apparently had some irregular arrhythmia (heart beats) or stoppage and that they inserted a temporary pacemaker up through my groin into my heart to get the rhythm back to normal and to monitor its stability.  I guess I stayed in the OR longer than I thought and they must have put me out since I did not have any idea this happened until I read it later.  I guess this might have been more serious than I first realized at the time in the hospital.



End of Part Three – Up next

9:00 am to 2 pm    Recovery room and more . . .

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores