One Hundred Twenty Five Hours that changed my Life Part Two - The Time Line of Events


One Hundred Twenty Five Hours that changed my Life

Part Two  - The Time Line of Events

This is the second part of sharing my recent heart attack and the lifestyle and possible events leading up to it.  Sometimes we are so busy living life that we fail to see or recognize things that may be in plain sight in front of you.  I recently had one of those experiences that oddly through the mental pain, the physical pain and suffering found a way to change some things modify my lifestyle a little bit.  It is from these changes and those events that probably saved my life.  We are getting older and need to be aware of our habits both in eating, exercise, and our mental state, not sweating the small stuff.

What I am talking about is a heart attack.


Friday, 11-30-12    11:00 am      Pick up Friend & go to Fred Meyer before lunch

She had returned home from a flight late the night before and wanted me to give her a ride to the airport for her next three day trip.  We agreed I would pick her up and go eat some lunch before dropping her off at the airport.  On the way to Asia Gardens for lunch she needed to go by Fred Meyer to the pharmacy which only took a few minutes so shortly we were enjoying a nice leisurely lunch.

11:25 am to 1:00 pm         Asia Gardens Restaurant

I enjoy Asia Gardens as their soup is great and the lunch menu is always filling and tasty.  Like most Alaskan eateries you do not leave there hungry.  We sat and talked while waiting for our food and were talking about a possible time to get away from Anchorage and possibly the winter weather.  I needed to book it later in the day if we decided to go to this place as their deadline for the special rate ended later in the afternoon.  We debated during the course of the meal and enjoyed talking about several other things and her upcoming trip that afternoon to San Jose and Hawaii the next day.

We were having a really nice lunch and it seemed at the time that her leaving on this trip would be like any other with another quick trip to the airport to drop her off with a return in three or four days.  During lunch we had pretty much decided that the getaway I was planning would not really be feasible with the upcoming holidays and her time off that she would be taking between now and the time of the trip.  It was decided that we could work out our schedules and then book something at a later time once we could narrow down when it would work better.  

1:00 to 1:20 pm      Head to airport.

We arrived at her drop off point and sat quietly for several minutes before casually talking before we were to get out grabbing her luggage in the back so she could go inside and check in.

1:25 pm        Emotions were high as we left each other

She went inside the terminal and I returned to my car and got inside to head home.  As I sat there watching her walk into the building I became aware of a feeling in between my nipples in my chest.  It was not a pain nor was it anything I could put my hand on only I was aware of it as I pulled away from the building.  I did notice I felt apprehensive which I figured was normal after the emotional goodbye we had just gone through.  Never in my mind did I think the awareness within my chest was heart related.    

I drove home and settled in for the evening never thinking about my chest but was still aware of this “feeling” that came over me at the airport.  

Saturday, 12-01-12          8:00 am       Saturday Breakfast with friends

I tossed and turned all night after going to bed around midnight but did not sleep.  I laid there thinking about things and where it seemed to be going with no real conclusion either way.  I was up out of bed around 4 am and made coffee having several until Scott and I would leave for our Saturday breakfast with several friends.  We normally spend a couple of hours at breakfast telling stories, reading the paper, and just having a nice time.

I spent the rest of the morning and afternoon running around doing some shopping and chores like most Saturday’s then headed for home mid afternoon.  

That evening I spent doing a bit of writing and watching a bit of television before trying to go to sleep around midnight since I did not sleep the night before.  It was another night of tossing and turning never getting quite comfortable enough to fall asleep.  It was another restless night with me getting out of bed around 4 am again. 
Sunday, 12-02-12

I listened to music until Scott & I went for coffee at eight.  After a couple of hours I went and picked up my granddaughter since we were going to spend the day together.

I picked her up and we decided to go see a movie at one of the local theaters which was showing the movie, “Life of Pi”.  It was a really good movie in 3D and the visuals were incredible along with the story.  We both came out of theater excited and blown away by what we had seen. 

4:30 pm

This was late afternoon and she wanted an ice cream so we headed to the local McDonald’s which was about a block from the movie where we both had a nice cone while driving back to here house to her dad.

While we were driving I had eaten a large bit of ice cream and it seemed like I had a “freeze” going down my throat which seemed to lodge in the center of my chest.  It seemed like it was the ‘brain freeze’ you get when you drink a slurpee to fast.  I felt the ‘freeze’ in my chest as I drove her home and then went back to my house.

The evening I was pretty tired after not sleeping for two nights and listened to music until I went to bed around 12:15 am.  I felt exhausted and thought I would sleep quickly.

Monday, 12-03-12

I continued to toss and turn during the night.  I would lie on one side and could not get comfortable and then rotate and turn onto my other side trying to fall asleep.  I would be still for awhile but my mind was still racing about the events of the last couple days and if there were options to be worked out.  I was aware of the feeling in my chest and continued to think it was from the ice cream earlier in the day.  No pain just awareness that it was there where I had felt the cold earlier.

3:45 am

I was lying there trying to shut my brain down and fall asleep but it was not happening so I got out of bed and posted on Facebook that I need to “turn my brain off” so I could go to sleep.  I went to the bathroom and drank some water and crawled back into bed where it felt warm with the electric blanket turned on.  I tried to get into a position that seem comfortable and again shut my eyes trying to finally fall asleep after almost three days.

4:00 am       While quietly lying there for first time I felt like there was a giant hand that reached around my heart and started squeezing it hard, now this was painful with the pain level on a scale from 1 to 10, it went straight to 8.5.

4:02 am       Pain level at 10 and now felt like a 200 pound weight was placed on chest.  I have a fairly high pain threshold and for the first time realized this was my heart and was now “broken” and it was not something I could ignore.  Now when something like this happens to you there are several things that go through ones mind and I can honestly say that I tried to think of everything that had nothing to do with having a heart attack.

I have been in pretty good shape and never have had any problems with anything in my adult life so the last thing you want to think of is that you are having a heart attack or anything related to one.  I knew what ever was happening to me was not because I was exhausted or due from my lack of sleep.

4:10 am        I got out of bed and took 2 Advil to help ease the pain.  I had put coffee on with the timer for morning so I went into the kitchen and turned it on so I could have a cup.  I sat down with a cup and waited a bit to see if the pain eased up and decided to make my bed, put some things away in the kitchen and get dressed.  I sat back down and finished the coffee as the pain dropped to a 7.5.  I knew I could not ignore this and needed to have it checked out still not really wanting to believe it was my heart.  I still did not have any of the “normal” signs or symptoms that one normally has when they have a heart attack. 

Before the pain started at four in the morning there were no indications of anything.  No chest pain, nothing in my jaw or left arm, no clammy or sweating feeling or any indigestion issues which I could put my finger on.

It was time to pack a small bag and go to the hospital to get this checked out. 

6:30 am       I knew Scott would be heading to work in just a few minutes so was going to get him to give me a ride to hospital.  He leaves every morning about the same time so I figured once I heard the garage door opening I would call and ask him to give me a ride.  No emergency feeling was going through me even though I had come to the conclusion it was my heart but I still was not under the realization I was having a heart attack.

I was in the kitchen and did not hear Scott leave so I decided I would drive to the hospital which was about 3 miles away. 

7:00 am       I started my rig (Alaskan for vehicle) and headed to hospital.  No big deal, I did not feel it was anything or that I would have any problems so warmed my rig since it was about minus 10 degrees out this morning. 

Off I went to the emergency room at Providence Hospital

End of Part Two

Ice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Morrison Springs - Ponce de Leon, Florida

Are Showing Your Nipples Appropriate Work Attire?

Biscuits and Whores